IGNORED

Dude! where's my headlights? and wires???

dawg7

Hey what about the harness upgrade kit from Blackdragon Auto? They are advertised as the harness to support the Euro or High power halogen lights. Connects to the battery and has two relays. part # 72-555 for 30$. I am going to call them today and see how it connects to the harness.

From post #5

Blackdragon has the generic one, though I would replace the relays on it with sockets. (Actually, I have one of those kits for my 260Z, and my plan is to replace the relays on that kit with sockets in order to be able to replace relays.)

Hey what about the harness upgrade kit from Blackdragon Auto? They are advertised as the harness to support the Euro or High power halogen lights. Connects to the battery and has two relays. part # 72-555 for 30$. I am going to call them today and see how it connects to the harness.

I have one that I was planning to use on my '78, but like was said in an earlier post the BD Harness Upgrade Kit is for earlier model Z's - I will not be using it as I refreshed my connections instead. You can have mine for $20, PM me if interested.

When I was reworking my lighting, I cleaned ALL of my connections...

I removed all of my Fuses and then cleaned the Fuse Block with a small brass wire wheel and a Dremel tool and replaced the fuses with new ones.

Did the same for the Fusible Link connections (you may not have those).

Replaced all of the Brake/Tail/Running Lamps and Cleaned the Sockets.

Replaced both the Flasher and Hazard relays with modern versions and used a spray electrical connection cleaner on the rest of the connections.

Used Dielectric Grease to keep connections clean and corrosion away.

Finally (and most delicate\tricky)...:finger:

I Removed the Headlight Combo Switch and carefully opened and cleaned the individual circuit boards.

I Removed the Turn Signal Switch and carefully opened and cleaned the individual circuit board.

The Results:

Much Brighter Lights all around.

Way Cooler Fuse Block (Especially around the Headlamp Circuits).

Much Quicker Turn/Hazard signals.

Everything has a much cleaner "Snap" when turned on -rather than the previous sleepy/lazy response.

** If you are getting into the Combo Switches and need advice, please ask. I'll see if I can post a how to guide. (If there is interest)

• 4 weeks later...

got the lights working. now troubleshooting the turn signals. I have headlights (and brights) and marker lights, brake lights and reverse. I have left side blinkers when the hazard switch is turned on, but no turn signals at all when using the turn signal. swapped out the hazard and turn signal flasher unit and they checkout. after looking under the dash and seeing wires everywhere with 14ga splices galore I am going to start a thorough checkout of the wiring from front to back. I have the FSM and haynes book, hopefully that will work.

just popped off the steering column cover and discovered a broken piece of metal and plastic just a dangling.....and now the headlights don't work. It has to do something with the high beam/low beam mechanism. What was the part # of the combo switch?

post-22794-14150812871955_thumb.jpg

Edited by dawg7

The combo switch is on the right. That is part of the turn signal switch. I don't think that wire dangling is part of the headlight circuit. What colors are on the wire? I'm thinking that you might have lost the ground at the turn signal switch. That would cause you to lose your headlights.

There are turn signal switches available on eBay. Just don't expect a good one to be cheap. You could also try contacting ZBarn to see if Roger might have a good one available. There is this auction: 150520446415. Compare it to your switch.

Edited by SteveJ

just popped off the steering column cover and discovered a broken piece of metal and plastic just a dangling.....and now the headlights don't work. It has to do something with the high beam/low beam mechanism. What was the part # of the combo switch?

From that picture I bet the horn don't work. The plastic is ABS that can be glued with ABS glue. This can be fixed if you want to spend the time.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsunS30/DatsunFairladyZIndex/Electrical/ElectricUnitSwitch/Section2/240Z260ZFromAug73/tabid/1662/Default.aspx

1 COMP-SWITCH LIGHTING

25160-N3605 - 1

2 COMP-SWITCH TURN SIG

25540-N3605 - 1

3 ASSY-UNIT TURN SIGNA

25545-N3600

Someone found and posted this site today on the boards.

Recommend you bookmark this one:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsuns30/DatsunFairladyZIndex/tabid/1543/Default.aspx

Contact Dave Irwin directly (Z'sondabrain).

He made a wiring harness for my 76 280Z. I had to provide him with a few connectors. I think he may be able to to the same for a 260Z.

His harnesses are really well built and I'd recommend them over the generic ones sold through Black Dragon.

Dave Ruiz