IGNORED

Dude! where's my headlights? and wires???

dawg7

I bought a car that has painted light covers on the front and PAII halogens mounted on the front bumper. pulled the painted light covers and found just the housing. No wires or connectors or anything....I did find some wires that were cut and capped, just not sure if they were for the headlights (see pic). Since there is numerous posts about light conversions and wire harness upgrades I am looking for the best route to get upgraded.

74 260Z early 12/73

post-22794-14150812585745_thumb.jpg

post-22794-14150812586298_thumb.jpg

post-22794-14150812586741_thumb.jpg

Edited by dawg7
didn't add year of vehicle

Dawg,

First suggestion, put the year of your car in your posts. It helps others help you.

Second suggestion, follow Jeff's advice.

Adding on to what Jeff said...

Look at the FSM to get the wire colors for the headlights from the switches to the headlights. You'd think I'd have those memorized by now with as often as I type up information on them, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Start at the point where the engine wiring harness meets the body wiring harness, and remove the wires from the connector.

If you search online long enough, you can find 14 gauge wire with the same color/stripe combination as stock. It's worth your while to replicate the scheme. Crimp new connectors onto the new wires. You can find the proper connectors at Vintage Connections. I've purchased from this guy, and he is good to work with.

Integrate in Dave's (Zs-ondabrain) relay upgrade. You can find it at Motorsport Auto.

ooops made a newbie mistake. did a quick edit and added the year. I have been out all morning digging thru the wire bundles and found the connectors. It is the three prong connector type. I checked the voltage and got 12vs between RB to RW and RB to RY at both connectors when lights are switched on. I didn't see a 260 or 280 wire harness upgrade on MSA. Still want to try and get a brighter headlight. One thing I am not noticing is the high beam switch? I can't see any mention of it in the FSM or Haynes.

Yeah, the relay upgrade is really just designed for the 240. Blackdragon has the generic one, though I would replace the relays on it with sockets. (Actually, I have one of those kits for my 260Z, and my plan is to replace the relays on that kit with sockets in order to be able to replace relays.)

The high beam switch is part of the turn signal switch. It swaps the return path from the headlights. IMHO it wasn't the best design. I don't like switching paths to ground.

I think they will fit also. Now I need to find the short wire harness from the light to the three prong connector. I remember seeing a electrical connector website that deals with old stlyle connectors and relays. Can't find it now.........ugh.