IGNORED

Just got my bumper smashed into by anther car

Z Tyler Z

Just when I get my car running perfect, I'm on my way to Intro to Philosophy about a half a block away from my house at a stop light. I'm about 5 feet away from the car in front of me (left him tons of room), for some reason he puts on his reverse lights and starts backing up. I honk my horn over and over then just keep it on and he smashes into the front of my car. I got all his info and just filed a report with his insurance agency.

This is the first time I've ever been in an accident. Luckily it's only the front bumper that took damage. The guy was like well it's only a little bumper no big deal at all and I was like dude wtf you can't just walk into Autozone and buy one of these. He didn't understand... His car was unscratched.

post-19613-14150812520667_thumb.jpg

post-19613-14150812521311_thumb.jpg

post-19613-1415081252189_thumb.jpg

Man, I feel sorry for you, pardner! I would be livid if that were to happen

to one of our cars. As a former Paratrooper/Ranger I would be strongly

tempted to make the dude the subject of a martial arts demonstration.

Unfortunate, yes, but fortunately, he didn't mash the peak of your hood.

That was always a major concern in the early Z Cars, say 69-72. 73s got

a little better.

Are you insured with Hagerty? If so, they not only will not hassle you,

they will also help you locate the appropriate replacement bumper.

All Z Best,...........................Kathy & Rick

Oh man! Reminds me of when I got my '75 Z all painted up nicely, new rims, looking sharp. I was at a light with a Volvo 240 wagon in front of me. When the light turned green, the kid in front shifted into reverse and "peeled out," apparently to impress his girlfriend. (I'm guessing she wasn't very impressed.) He ate my hood, headlight buckets and lights, signal lights, and air cleaner. The bumper was fine. Fortunately parts were easily available (not yet an antique), and he had a good insurance company.

Yup Hagerty helped me find the correct parts that I wanted. Not the 76 bumper, but a 72 bumper like the one I had on my 76 when it got hit. Good luck with the dealings.

Hey Dave,

Do you mind sharing where Hagerty sent you for a replacement 72 bumper?

Thanks,

Marc

I would go by local chrome shop & get a printed estimate to refurbish that one (doesnt look that bad). If you are willing to do the labor of taking off & replace, may be better then before for about 300-400 bucks. I'd be surprised if insurance company gives you allot of grief over that.

Just got off the phone with his insurance rep. Because there wasn't a police report I have to wait for the insurance company to get hold of the guy who hit me to confirm it happened.

Anyone know what's happens if they can't get hold of this guy? There's no police report and I'm just sort of paranoid that they'll close the case if he doesn't respond. I tend to be a pessimist and I'm just trying to think what will happen worst case. Other than that I was told to get a shop quote and email him the pictures I took right after the accident.

I wish I have Hagerity but I daily drive my Z (at least until it snows) and don't have a garage/drive way to store it in.

Off to go get a quote we'll see how this goes.

When I had someone hit my car in the garage under my building, I never even called the other driver's insurance (USAA). She left a note, so I got her information, I called MY insurance company (AllState), told them what happened, gave them the info, and let them handle everything. I ended up getting my car repaired at one of the best places in town. Cost a pretty penny (5x what AllState's adjuster "estimated"), had a rental car for the entire time also, but my insurance company did not fight me on it - the other company was paying for all of it (no deductible or any BS like that).

You may have problems because there was no police report. The other guy could just as soon change his story and say YOU ran into HIM, and most people would probably believe it just because the front of your car made contact with the back of his car. If you don't have a witness to corroborate your story, it's just your word against his, and that is not a good position to be in...

Edited by Inf