IGNORED

Okay, so I found an advantage that the Canadians have...

SteveJ

On my most recent trip to Canada, I took some time to wander through the automotive section of Canadian Tire. They carried multiple wire butt connectors (example here) to allow you to branch a circuit. There are a couple of places in the wiring of a Z where you might need such a product if you ever have to do wiring repairs. While you can buy them in quantity online, unless you do a TON of electrical wiring, you'll never go through all of them.

So to all of our Canadian members, what parts stores in the GTA might also have some interesting parts that I can look for in my next trip? I'll probably be up near Vaughan in a week or two.

Steve

Steve:

Nice to hear someone saying something nice about our little spot on the planet. Thanks!

Well, of immediate interest that you have to visit is a little place called Princess Auto (have no clue how that came up with THAT...) (princessauto.com)

The place reminds me of Harbour Freight, but better in my opinion (based on one store I visited in Vegas recently). Lots of automotive related tools and equipment, and stuff you just don't find other places.

There seem to be several stores in Ontario. Hopefully you will find one close to where you are going.

I just know I NEVER leave there without buying 3-5 things I had NO intention of buying when I went in.... Take care with the amount of money you take with you, maybe leave your credit card at home....

Jim,

I like Canadians. I'd hang out with you guys any time. However, I'm allergic to snow, Diet Mountain Dew isn't available in Canada, and I'm too much of a Type-A person to take the slower pace in stores, etc. That forces me to limit my time in the Great White North. I will say that people in the GTA drive like people in the Northeastern part of the US. I've also noticed that stopping at red lights is optional for many in the GTA. :eek: Driving in the South tends to be more peaceful until you enter a Wal-Mart parking lot. At that point, all driving rules seem to go out the window.

Thanks for the heads up on Princess Auto. Hopefully, I'll remember to look for it, provided there's time in my schedule. It won't be as much budget limiting me as the difficulty getting things through customs and weight limitations on luggage. :) The scary thing for me is that I've been driving around the western part of Toronto enough that when I looked up the store locations, I thought, "I know about where that is." Pretty soon I'll be saying "Eh?" "Maazda" and "prOject". I took some ribbing from a co-worker last year for describing my cars to some Canadian colleagues as a 240 Zed and 260 Zed.

Steve

I would have to agree that Princess Auto is a good place to kill an hour or so and maybe pick up a few good deals. I drop in about once a month just to check out the "surplus aisles" to see what they have added. The closest stores they have to the GTA would be in Mississauga to the west, Whitby to the east and Newmarket to the north.

Spend a little more time here and you will learn how to live without Diet Mountain Dew::beer:...and go home sporting an 8 dollar haircut (2 dollars a corner)Eh?:D

Edited by geezer

Spend a little more time here and you will learn how to live without Diet Mountain Dew

Heresy! Heresy! There's the proof that while Canadians are nice, they just aren't civilized. ROFL I spend much too much time programming to live without that magical concoction.

I noticed online that there's a Princess Auto location in Mississauga. It's probably not too far from the electronics stores I have visited on Matheson. Sayal Electronics is nice, but I still prefer Fry's.

Fortunately Canadian Customs haven't looked in my trunk to see all of the Diet Dew I've been smuggling in from Buffalo, but I do have to cut back when I'm up there in order to make my supply last. I just make up for it when I get home. :)

I agree about the GTA, have lots of friends there and visit regularly. If not for the two issues Steve mentions (snow and Diet Mt Dew - yes, you really do get addicted to the stuff), I would probably considering living there full time.

I do have to question your statement regarding driving in the South, clearly you do not drive in Atlanta... :) The only time drivers in Atlanta take their time is when it comes to driving is going through a green traffic light, or taking a left turn with 400 cars behind them - otherwise it's the petite LeMans ;)

Edited by DougN

On the Princess Auto theme - I bought a lifetime supply of Z wiper refills for about $5 cdn in the surplus isle. There are some real good buys there.

But better face it that alot of their stuff is less than good quality if going in for industrial use - when I buy tools there, I fully expect that they will have to be replaced or that they are disposable and thier flare wrenches really do flare when you use them on anything that is actually tight (caused much greif).

So beware what you buy - if it looks to good to be true - good chance you are right.

So beware what you buy - if it looks to good to be true - good chance you are right.

Uh , yeah ! Especially anything bought at Canadian China (Tire ) !

And , there's more to Canada than the East . Come West young man,

no real snow , and I bet we could mix you something close to your

diet Dew . Oh , our haircuts are better too - no need to cut around

a touque ( winter hat ) !