IGNORED

This baffles me to no end

Pomorza

is the video. It is a rather poor quality but about 6 seconds in you can hear the sound I'm talking about. I'm sorry I don't have a very good camera so this is as good as I can do it. You can hear it also everytime I release the throttle.

Jan

Jan,

Have you made sure that the oil pump has enough pressure?? I listened to the video and from what I could tell it might be that the bearings from the Belt Tensioners for the A/C or Water Pump. These little guys can produce racket from the front of the motor when they start to go. If you have a Automotive Stethoscope, you can try to isolate the source of the sound a little better.

As for the oil argument - follow the chart that was posted earlier. Generally 10w-40 is sufficient for cooler climates, but for anything over 80F - I would be running 20w-50 and substitute 1 qt with Lucas Oil Stabilizer (This is what I have done for 25 years).

The engineers that designed these engines knew what they doing and took great care in putting the lubrication chart together -This is why these engines are darn near bullet-proof. Of course engines with a lot of miles on them really need a "top end" additive such as Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas and they should have their oil changed more frequently.

Jan,

Have you made sure that the oil pump has enough pressure?? I listened to the video and from what I could tell it might be that the bearings from the Belt Tensioners for the A/C or Water Pump. These little guys can produce racket from the front of the motor when they start to go. If you have a Automotive Stethoscope, you can try to isolate the source of the sound a little better.

As for the oil argument - follow the chart that was posted earlier. Generally 10w-40 is sufficient for cooler climates, but for anything over 80F - I would be running 20w-50 and substitute 1 qt with Lucas Oil Stabilizer (This is what I have done for 25 years).

The engineers that designed these engines knew what they doing and took great care in putting the lubrication chart together -This is why these engines are darn near bullet-proof. Of course engines with a lot of miles on them really need a "top end" additive such as Marvel Mystery Oil or Lucas and they should have their oil changed more frequently.

Thanks for the advise.

The oil pressure gauge always shows at least half. I haven't put a different gauge on it but I can't see how it can differ much from what the gauge shows. I can get a hold of a different gauge but I'm pretty sure that pressure is where it should be.

As for the belts. I'm only running one belt (wp,alt, engine) so unless my BRAND new put is loud I can't see it being that. I have done a stethoscope the first time it did this and it SOUNDED like it was coming from the flat part of the transmission (right where it meets the engine). I can't envision it being anything clutch/transmission related as the noise is there with the clutch in and out. That and the fact that engine noises like to travel makes me believe its engine related.

I was thinking of using that Lucas stuff. What exactly does it do? I have read reviews but again those are REVIEWS.

Jan

As for the belts. I'm only running one belt (wp,alt, engine) so unless my BRAND new put is loud I can't see it being that. .....

I was thinking of using that Lucas stuff. What exactly does it do? I have read reviews but again those are REVIEWS.

Jan

Nothing about the Belts but rather the bearing inside of the Tensioner. The bearings can Howl and the noise can travel -but this would be at the front of the engine.

As for the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, it is an all oil additive that creates a Tacky Soapy Film of oil that remains on internal engine components and prevents dry starts. It also slightly increases oil pressure. It does not foam or foul the engine, it has awesome performance in high temps and engines with a lot of miles. I have used Lucas for twenty plus years in Houston where the temperature is routinely very toasty. Lucas is some Real Good stuff!:cool:

Bill,

I'm reasonably confident that I've never begun a sentence with the following:LOL

"Sitting in the pool last night talking with my machinist,"

yeah...welll.....ahhh......$^!#.

Well it is Tucson and it was 105 that night.And the cord from the portable valve guide machine did reach the pool.

ROFL

Nothing about the Belts but rather the bearing inside of the Tensioner. The bearings can Howl and the noise can travel -but this would be at the front of the engine.

As for the Lucas Oil Stabilizer, it is an all oil additive that creates a Tacky Soapy Film of oil that remains on internal engine components and prevents dry starts. It also slightly increases oil pressure. It does not foam or foul the engine, it has awesome performance in high temps and engines with a lot of miles. I have used Lucas for twenty plus years in Houston where the temperature is routinely very toasty. Lucas is some Real Good stuff!:cool:

I'll use it on my next oil change. I did added about a third of a bottle of seafoam into the oil earlier and drove the Z rather harshly. (kept it in 4th on the freeway, shifted at four that type of deal, nothing too extreme). Afterwords I did an oil change using 10W40 and did another seafoam run through the intake. Smoked for a good ten minutes. Sounds seems to still be there but I'll check in the morning.

I may use that lucas oil stuff next time I do an oil change. You said you substitute one quart of oil for that stuff? So 4qtrs oil 1qrt Lucas?

Thanks for all the help

Jan

• 2 weeks later...