IGNORED

Progress on rust repairs

240dkw

Wow, very nice work. I was just admiring your battery box. I was working on my battery tray area not an hour ago. I am very lucky, my car is very solid over all, but the battery tray area is really a mess. Previous owner had laid fiberglass cloth over the whole area, and then riveted the battery tray back in.

post-24817-14150817212171_thumb.jpg

I have a parts car that looks like it may be pretty solid in the battery tray area, I think I might cut pieces from it.

post-24817-14150817211566_thumb.jpg

post-24817-14150817211894_thumb.jpg

Zealous: I am treating everything with POR15 that I can get at after welding, I used a weldable primer on all of the peices that I can not get at after and will spray some type of coating inside the rails once I am done.

Z Greek & esmit 208: Somewhere on this site I read that using a section on a old fender to replace the metal under the battery tray works well, This is what I did and the curve of the fender matches quite well.

Zealous: I am treating everything with POR15 that I can get at after welding, I used a weldable primer on all of the peices that I can not get at after and will spray some type of coating inside the rails once I am done.

Z Greek & esmit 208: Somewhere on this site I read that using a section on a old fender to replace the metal under the battery tray works well, This is what I did and the curve of the fender matches quite well.

Thank you very much for the advice! I have searched a number of times, but did not see the post referring to using an old fender. I am surprised there are no commercially produced patch panels available for that area, since it seems at least half of all Z's suffer there. Opportunity for someone in the sheet metal business?

Thanks. Are you painting with POR15 and then using an etching primer for sanding and levelling?

JC: I miss read your post, I am only using the POR15 on the insides of everything. On the finished side it is the normal cleaning and leveling coat of bodyfiller with fiberglass strands followed by etching primer and final coat of filler if needed.

Dan

• 2 months later...

Sorry, no I am not tracking hours. I get side tracked a way to easy to ever mark down the time spent on the car. I will be welding and stop for a break, pick up a part and start cleaning it up for later and not get back to welding for a couple of hours. Very ADD of me but it keeps me enjoying the project.