IGNORED

Parking lights and dash lights out blew fuse

Frankensteinz2

Hey guys

I have issues finding the short in my electrical system. I have narrowed it down to my parking light circut. I have the PLH, and HLH in from dave, and the fuse blows when I turn my lights on. So I removed all parking lights, including tail lights. Then turned the lights back on and POP. Still blew the fuse. I have cleaned all connections. Where should I head next? 72 240z by the way

thanks frankie

Hi Frankie,

Just a quick question, did you remove the light bulbs or disconnect the two wires that attach to the light housing (for the parking lights). Usually the problem is the housing. Also, when you hook the two wires back together, make sure the color is correct: black to black, and green with red stripe to green with red stripe.

Typically, when I have had this issue, I disconnect all connections and attach them back together one by one. Best to use an ammeter if you have one, or observe the cars ammeter. When you see the high current, that the problem.

If you have done this already, then maybe Dave can help some. I am not familiar with his system

Hope that helps,

Rich

I also had a similar problem a few months ago. For me, it was a faulty front turn signal / parking light socket. I believe I read somewhere that the old sockets can get turned around (negative becomes positive, positive becomes negative) or gets corroded over time. Try unplugging everything from their connectors; not just the bulbs, like Rich suggested and then slowly plug back in one at a time.

I found that some generic ford van 3 wire turn signal sockets could be adapted to fit into the stock turn signal/parking light housing with just a little patience and slight trimming of the plastic on the generic turn signal socket. Cost was about $4 a socket.

If you don't see any evidence around the sockets, pull the cover off of the steering column and inspect the wires around the combo switch. They can and WILL overheat over time as corrosion builds. This can lead to a breakdown in the insulation. If it is in contact with the steering column, it will short.

Thanks for the advice guys

I didn't completely take the socket out of the loop, ill try that and see what happens.

I did check the steering column however, I just finished taking out the dash and putting it back in, tryin to find the short.

I appreciate the advice, and will go through the sockets tonight

Loren

I started to go through the sockets and all of a sudden, no short. So I decided to take a trip up north. I know i know, bad idea. It was, coming back down, my dead short resurfaced. I am now spending the night in LA. Till morning as my short only occurs with the lights on. I will put some serious time into the light sockets this week, once im back. Man have a Z a your daily driver and working on it at the same time is rough. I assume im not the only one with this dilemma.

Have a good nite

Loren

You could have problems with corrosion in your fusebox. If it creates a hot spot, you can melt the solder in the fuse. I had that problem at one time, and I once saw the parking lights fuse glowing a bright orange. After that, I had to replace the fuse block because it melted down.

I worked on the fuse box, even bought a used one in better condition then my own. I have the whole electrical system disconnected now to get by. My short went to a whole new level the other day. I had my own person fogger in the car. I thought it was gonna go up! I think i roasted the alternator gauge and a red and white power wire. The dash is gonna have to come out again to see the damage i did. I have a plan to fix this, I am going to do everything wrong before i do it right :).

Seriously im hittin up the sockets this weekend, cutting them out of the chain and testing them and cleaning them real good before i crimp them back in

I wonder if any z have literally caught fire because of a electrical short Hmmmmmmm

wish me luck

Loren