IGNORED

1978 280z Rear Hatch Area Carpet Pictures

Irish Wake

Hi I want to order a carpet kit for my 1978 280z but my rear cargo area is raised but drops down at the rear shock towers and there is a 2 handle lid that lifts up to give access to the storage area below. Will a regular carpet kit work? Here are a couple of pictures.

I've never seen a configuration like this before. Is this a mod that someone did? Also is this carpet loop or cut pile?

Thanks

Randy

post-22066-14150811734238_thumb.jpg

post-22066-14150811734977_thumb.jpg

Edited by Irish Wake

That is a totally home grown floor you have there. The previous owner made a very interesting custom floor and yes (good catch S.) added zx cargo area bars to gain access to the hidden compartments in the front. It is true that 77-78 have a unique and raised hardboard floor compared to the early s30's, but it looks nothing like what you have. Maybe soom of the original hardboard or supports are still underthere, but likely not much.

To recarpet this, you'll be getting it custom made, as the step in the middle there, makes this carpet longer than either of the stock carpet sets, and the unique shape will guarantee that any stock carpet will not fit correctly.

Is there no end to what PO's will come up? Apparently not....

You know, Jim, you're right. I had also done custom work to the rear of my 78 for the speakers/amp, etc. so maybe I'm just not remembering what it looked like stock. My setup could be removed easily and returned to stock by unplugging a couple of plugs, removing a couple of wing nuts and lifting the whole thing out.

Edited by sblake01

i was hesitant to offer an opinion on changing it back without seeing what was under the carpet, but i would guess that if you could find the brackets and particle board you'd be in business. a 78 at the junk yard would be ideal, or just another one you could look at in your area.

anythings possible...the extra space you've gained might be a good spot for speaker boxes, though...

good luck with your project.

I sort of like the set up you have, hmm could one cut stock carpet at the drop down point and lay the remaining forward right behind the seats and use corner trim to hide the cut line?

i also like his set-up...for years i had two speaker boxes between the forward L-shaped trim and the shock towers...got rid of them for space and appearance, but with a cut-out like that it might have been better...oh well...

and it would be easy to cut a stock kit as you say, and even if there wasn't enough carpet left to fill in the cut-out area, it wouldn't be too hard to find a piece of carpet to match a kit's...or even black vinyl glued to particle board or black starboard by itself...(marine plastic in sheets, 1/4 in this case would work...fisheriessupply.com) actually the black starboard would be sweet, it has a molded finish similar to the texture of the dash and console...it's pricey but cool...

so many options...

Inmo thanks for the pictures. Can the pieces I need to return it to stock be found at a junkyard or should I leave it the way it is?

The chances are pretty slim you'll find these at a junkyard.

Your best bet for this would be to call Roger at Z Barn (1-800-247-2793), Oliver at Z Specialties (1-800-518-5480) or the folks at Z Car Source (1-800-373-2532).

IMO the stock configuration would be the way to go.

Good luck!

Edited by mlaw7