IGNORED

Stupid City

It's simple. In California, a vehicle must be currently registered to be driven, parked or otherwise on the public streets, roads etc. Evidence of that current registration must be visible on the vehicle. They don't just instantly tow it. It is date marked, attempts are made to notify the owner, warnings, etc. When your car is towed for this reason it's no surprise to the owner. I had it happen to me once and it was just my freakin' youthful laziness. I was 24 or 25 at the time. I learned my lesson and Sparks likely just learned his. This is pretty cut and dried and if people are going to start taking sides here, the mods need to take this thread down because there really is only one side......

It's simple. In California, a vehicle must be currently registered to be driven, parked or otherwise on the public streets, roads etc. Evidence of that current registration must be visible on the vehicle......

That's the part that doesn't make any sense. What makes a car w/o "properly displayed registration" any more of a danger to citizens than any other car parked on a street... Really is just a way for "the man" to stick it to ya. But that being said ALL of my vehicles are registered/insured at all times and thankfully I'm at a point in my life where I can afford a house w/ garage to keep my vehicles and other property safe.

Anyway... Sparx- sounds like you've got two options:

1) Pay the money

2) Part ways w/ the Z

Well it sucks bud... try not to let "the man" keep you down.

Nate;

When you entered a Coast Guard Base, or other DoD installation, could you drive in with ANY car, or did you have to have the DoD Decal prominently displayed before you were admitted? And if you did NOT have the decal on the vehicle (rental, friends, courtesy car, etc.) you had to go to the Guard Shack and get a temporary permit which you then displayed on the vehicle.

Kind of the same thing.

It's not the matter of the danger, it's the matter that it hasn't been registered. You can object in either the situation above, or my example of the DoD decal, but you won't be driving in either case.

2¢

E

Edited by EScanlon

It's not the matter of the danger, it's the matter that it hasn't been registered. You can object in either the situation above, or my example of the DoD decal, but you won't be driving in either case.

2¢

E

E- That is the point... the vehicle was not being driven, so registration shouldn't be a problem unless the vehicle was a danger to others. But as Stephen has stated, CA law (and law in many other if not all states) says that a vehicle parked on public streets must be registered. Laws should not be arbitrary, they are intended to protect us from each other and sometimes ourselves.

My 2 pennies...

I saw pictures of the car in other posts... it was a work in progress, (read: not pretty)... The person probably reported it because they felt it was an eye sore. Just my presumption.

Edited by CoastGuardZ

E- maybe you should lock this thread. My initial comment had nothing to do with the logic or fairness of the law. Only that it does exist, it has existed for a long time, and Sparx was aware of it. He could have avoided the consequences and he needs to point the finger of blame in the proper direction (the mirror) and not come here looking for sympathy. That's all.....

Edited by sblake01

E- maybe you should lock this thread. ....snip..... He could have avoided the consequences and he needs to point the finger of blame in the proper direction (the mirror) and not come here looking for sympathy. That's all.....

Well, I see the "I don't like this thread....better shut it down" police are at it again. :rolleyes:

I say let the guy vent and blow off a little steam. Besides, it's a learning lesson for others to pay attention to their own city's laws and regulations.

Well, I see the "I don't like this thread....better shut it down" police are at it again. :rolleyes:

I say let the guy vent and blow off a little steam. Besides, it's a learning lesson for others to pay attention to their own city's laws and regulations.

It's not that at all. It's just that the wrong point was being argued.

I went and got a copy of the paperwork needed and the vehicle si being refused to be given back by both the city and tow yard

So, to belabor the point even more......

A few questions:

• Why won't they give you the car even though you showed that you have the proper registration paperwork after it was impounded - what do they now say you have to do to get the car?

• How much is the daily impound fee plus towing at this point?

• Do you now have the plates that you said were "in the mail"?

• What's the car worth?

While I feel your pain, I think there's more to the story.

Good luck!

Dennis