IGNORED

HELP! need to pass emissions by the 16th!

Shade133

i was just reading the manual and noticed that it said the floor temp light is ONLY on california models.. could this mean my car is a california car and if so does that mean i have extra smog crap on it vs it being a arizona car?

like stuff i can cap off or remove and still pass emissions

IT also says that only california model cars came with a cat converter which mine has one..

this is in fact the 78 280z model manual

Yours is a California car.And you're stuck with the Cat.CSV is the COLD START VALVE.

Timing has to be right as a basis for everything else.Get a temp tag for the car. and lower your blood pressure a bit.

i had a temp tag for the car. they only give out 30 day temps and a 3 day temp.

the 30 day temp is up on the 16th.

and im going to get the timing fixed, and the coolent temp sensor hasnt been replaced but i replaced the plug and wires. and i believe it works because when i unplug it the car idles high and real nice and smooth, but when i try to drive it like that it spits and spudders.

if i plug it in, it idles low and rough but drives good.

also what is a FSM

i had a temp tag for the car. they only give out 30 day temps and a 3 day temp.

the 30 day temp is up on the 16th.

and im going to get the timing fixed, and the coolent temp sensor hasnt been replaced but i replaced the plug and wires. and i believe it works because when i unplug it the car idles high and real nice and smooth, but when i try to drive it like that it spits and spudders.

if i plug it in, it idles low and rough but drives good.

also what is a FSM

You need to run the tests as outlined in the FSM to find out which components in the EFI/emission control system(s) are working properly and which aren't. There is a functionality test for each component. There's really no getting around it. Until you do that, you're just guessing.

Im definitely going to take the dizzy out today after work and make sure nothing in there is rusted or anything like that, and hopefully the vacume pod is in good shape, if not ill free it up and then it wont ever advance LOL.

There are a few guys at Desert Datsun that could help. Join their club and post asking for help. Their a pretty good bunch when it comes to that.

I can't diagnose crap

thanks for the referal to them, errin on their forum suggested to check the vacume advance by unplugging the vacume hose and drive it, if i dont notice any difference then my vacume advance could be stuck in advance mode. i did just that and noticed NO difference.

so if anyone else has an issue like this that is definitely something easy to try.