IGNORED

How Much Negative Camber Is Too Much

Diseazd

I've installed Ground Control coilovers on my 72 Z. I set up the car as low as possible for street use. My question is........With the 225-50-16 tires on 16" Panasports, we had to dial in almost negative 3 degrees camber to prevent rubbing on the rear fender lips. I don't want to roll the fenders. Is 3 degrees too much for street use or is that OK? I can go to a smaller tire (205-55-16), but really like the 225-50-16's. Thanks Guy

Your goal is handling not appearance so too much is when your inside tread edge wears out too quickly by comparison to the rest of the tread face.

I use a pyrometer during autocross events to make sure my suspension settings and tire pressure are good. If my temps are close all the way across the tread face the dynamic action of the suspension is flattening out the tire so my settings are good.

My guess, 3 degrees is just a little too much for the street. 2 - 2.5 is probably better.

All you need to do is make a series of small cuts (1/2-inch max.) on the inner fender lip and then push/hammer in up into the wheelwell. This will gain you the needed distance for clearance. I run 245/50/16s w/GC coilovers and I suspect my 240 sits a tad lower than yours. I normally set the camber between 2 and 2.5.

I prefer to roll them with a wood baseball bat. I'm sure if you search "rolling fenders" you'd find a how to. I think you'd be leaving a lot of raw metal exposed to start rusting with a bunch of cuts.

The way I see it... Cutting the edge off a piece of sheet metal with a dremmel and a steady hand leaves a tiny line of exposed metal to hit with a QueueTip dabbed with POR. Rolling a fender cracks a bunch of old paint.

BTW, I'm running Yokohama ES100 225/50/16 tires as well.

The way I see it... Cutting the edge off a piece of sheet metal with a dremmel and a steady hand leaves a tiny line of exposed metal to hit with a QueueTip dabbed with POR. Rolling a fender cracks a bunch of old paint.

BTW, I'm running Yokohama ES100 225/50/16 tires as well.

Never had any trouble with cracking paint.

I was trying to convince him to roll the fenders but.... his cars are immaculate and I certainly understand why he doesn't want to cut or roll. Although it reads -3 camber, it doesn't look bad at all. I actually prefer the look. My 510 is probably -3.5 or more. Besides he doesn't put many miles on these cars so tire wear is kind of a non issue.