IGNORED

Squeeling! Whyyyyyyyy~

Daishi_GD

Car: 1978 Datsun 280Z fully stock. Great condition.

Problem:

When I first start the car and engage my clutch it makes a very high pitch squealing sound. It only lasts for like my first few gear changes (first 5-15 seconds - maybe not even that.) After that it's fine. My friends were guessing it was my e-brake. But I know its down? I know my Parking Brake IS down. But are E-brakes known know to stick?

The car is drivable but when I hear the sound I die a little on the inside because I know my car is hurting...

Help! All comments welcome.

Edited by Daishi_GD

If the noise is when you push the clutch, the noise could be the clutch release bearing. To fix this,the gearbox needs to come out---:cry:

Clutch in/ out didn't make a difference I think. I think pressing the gas did though. I need to look into it more.

My other friend guessed it was one of the belts squealing.

Guys, I would replace the Belts AND while your at it Replace the bearings in the Belt Tensioners.

I have like eight or ten of these that I bought in bulk. PM me with your address and they are yours (Just pay for the postage - probably $3-$4 bucks). This is a good 'Pay It Forward' opportunity for me.

NOW after that is done, If you still have the squeal, then your looking at the Clutch Throw-Out Bearing, which will have to be another discussion....

...Replace the bearings in the Belt Tensioners

This must be another one of those areas where the 240 and 280 differ. On the 240, the belt circulates the harmonic balancer, alternator and water pump. Tension is adjusted via the alternator mount.

If the 280 uses a separate belt tensionor, that could be the source of the squeal.

This must be another one of those areas where the 240 and 280 differ. On the 240, the belt circulates the harmonic balancer, alternator and water pump. Tension is adjusted via the alternator mount.

If the 280 uses a separate belt tensionor, that could be the source of the squeal.

Not all 280z's have separate belt tensioners. My 280 had and A/C (which I took off). It just ran off the crank and was adjusted by moving it over on the mount. I took it off and now basically have just one belt to the alt, water pump and crank.

It makes sense that that the belt would make the squeeling noise. It is possible that it can be the alternator. It hard to "hear" the noise over then net so I'm just making an educated guess.

Jan

Took a picture of my belts...or lack of belts. I think its a loose belt - It squeals when I press the gas but has nothing to do with clutch movement.

Main concern for me is that I seem to lose power.

post-21809-14150811258816_thumb.jpg

post-21809-14150811259595_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daishi_GD

Took a picture of my belts...or lack of belts. I think its a loose belt - It squeals when I press the gas but has nothing to do with clutch movement.

Main concern for me is that I seem to lose power.

By the looks of your picture you have no A/C belt. From what you stated above (or what I got out of it anyway) is that when your car is cold and you start it it makes a squeeling noise. If you seem to be loosing power it could be that either your water pump and/or the alternator bearing is seizing.

This is my way of figuring it out. If Z's are anything like all the other cars I've worked on you should be able to run your car without the belt for a few minutes. (or seconds as that's how long you said it lasted). See if you hear the sound with no belt.

Jan

A quick and mostly accurate belt tension test is to find the longest run of belt between two pulleys. In the center of that longest run, depress the belt. If you can deflect the belt more than 1/2 inch with moderate hand pressure, it is too loose and needs to be re-tensioned.