IGNORED

3/72 240Z Automatic Transmission - What part hooks to this connector

ArnieTX

For those that take note of these little nits, the diagram I posted has the infamous "3-wire" Accessory Relay... which some have theorized is grounded via it's case.

Although it seems logical, the problem is that I've yet to see or find a 3 wire Accessory Relay on one of the cars that matches the schematic wiring. Additionally, look further to the right of the schematic and you'll see the Rear Window Defrost Relay... it's a 4 wire. I doubt that they had two different styles of relays in the same model circuit doing the exact same function. I.e.: unlike the Horn Relay which is a true 3 wire relay.

As you use the diagram, be careful of vague "connections" that aren't, and also those that in fact ARE connections. That's the main problem with this diagram, the scan rate is so low that it introduces pixellation around the lines and intersections that can cause you to "see" or not "see" a connection.

If someone has the original diagram from a 73 FSM, a scan of the AT and also the MT diagrams would be beneficial to all. (Note, the MT also has the 3 wire relay error.)

FWIW

E

Edited by EScanlon

I called Courtesy Nissan to track down the part now that I was armed with terms like "Relay arse'y Type K-18" and "A.L.R Relay". That did nothing for the parts guy. He said he couldn't cross reference at all. I emailed a picture of the part and told him where it was mounted and he responded with the information below. Maybe this is useful to somebody out there scratching there head like me. If it's not good data or misinformation let me know and I will edit to remove.

I think I found it. could never find it in the parts diagrams for the car, but after digging out the old dusty paper price book which is sorted by part number, and looking through the relays part numbers which begin with 25230- found some notations K11, K17,K19 and such. What I learned is the last 2 digits of the actual 10 digit Nissan part numbers ended with 11,17,19 respectively. There is a part number 25230-89918, which I feel pretty sure would be a K18, even though the book did not have K18 notation.

It is called inhibitor relay. We sell it for $23.05

I will order one for me to look at and get back with you next week after I get it in.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I received the part today and plugged it in. The car cranked right over perfectly. Please see attached pics of the part Nissan now uses.

Thanks for the help. I learned a lot chasing this down. :)

Sympton - Car won't crank, click noise under dash, no power to starter solenoid when trying to crank.

Keywords -240Z Automatic, crank, click, part #, number, firewall, missing, plug, starter

post-13715-14150811260186_thumb.jpg

post-13715-14150811260885_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I got this car running today. When the motor was rebuilt the distributor shaft was put in 180º out. Learned a lot troubleshooting this issue. Car cranked, had planty of spark, plenty of fuel but would not start. Read about getting #1 piston to TDC on compression stroke and once I did that the distributor cap was nowhere near the #1 spark plug hole on the cap. Pulled the oil pump off and rotated the shaft 180. Put it back together and it fired right up. :)

Ran it for a while and then sprung a leak on a metal tube that connects the water from the passenger side over to the carb side. It had a little hole in it that I was able to weld shut with my MIG.

I took it for a short drive this evening not exceeding 15MPH. It's running on a straight pipe and sounds pretty good. Couple more things to button up on it and then it's back to working on my car.

Thanks for everyone's help.