IGNORED

71 Dealer insalled AC, What is it worth

fcdrifter13

I have what i believe to be a dealer installed AC unit on my 71, the compressor is installed on the passenger side and has a hemostat under and slightly to the side of the steering wheel, There are also little pull knobs on either side of the car that I have not seen in another car or maybe I just looked over them in the past, they may go to the unit under the dash. I am doing a resto/mod on the car and I have never like AC so I was thinking about selling it, the compressor checked out good and the evap, and condenser both held pressure. What is something like this worth, if it is worth anything at all

I will try to get a picture of the set up tomorrow.

The two pull knobs are for the factory footwell fresh air vents, not part of the A/C. All 240Zs have those.

No idea what the A/C parts might be worth, and they'll be expensive to ship if you can't find a local buyer.

Edited by Arne

The compressor is worth about $0.16/lb as scrap metal, so at about 20 lbs say $3.20 and the condenser and evaporator coils, assuming they are brass are worth about $3.00/lb so say $15.00 each.

Other than that, I doubt they are worth much. The early systems leaked like a sieve, and usually had to be recharged once every year or two.

There are so much better aftermarket systems available today that I seriously doubt if I'm going to re-install the dealer installed A/C in my all original, one owner '73, even if it is allowed by judging rules, whereas new ones aren't. It just won't work as well as the new ones, and that's important when you plan on driving the car much more than you show it. So to answer your question, it's probably not worth all that much as a whole, but the piece parts might have some eBay value.

This is for new and not used, but they are asking alot for it. There was a new old stock system on ebay not too long ago for $810, though it didnt sell at that point. It was relisted and made it to $1075, but I am not sure if it ever sold.

I have a similar set-up new in the box for a 260/510 and hope to put it up for sale soon.

Since the concensus is it doesnt work well in the first place I will probaly not instal it.

Can the old ones be made to run better, new internals maybe for the old A/C units? You know like keep all the stock appearing componets on the outside with new stuff inside?

I have an old style unit running on 134a and a modern compresser. I can get mid 40s at the vent with the Honda blower moter mod. I wait to pass final judgement until the summer heat gets here but it seems to work fine for now

I had AC installed on mine in 1972 and it worked quite well, especially after I added a rear window louver set to block the greenhouse effect.

I probably added two or three cans of freon in the first 10 years. Then the York compressor stopped compressing. I now have a modern AC system which works just dandy and doesn't seem to rob as much power at highway speeds - used to have to turn off the AC to pass cars on the two lane back roads.

By the way, it's supposed to get to 100 degrees here today. Can summer be far behind? Glad to have air conditioning in the Z.

Dennis

You may want to offer the dealer installed system to one of the members who is restoring their car back to original. Even though the current judging rules take points off for a nonfactory unit, there are some people who appreciate the period correctness of the system. (It is my understanding that in prior years the judging rules did not deduct points, so the arbitrariness of the rules may indicate a reversal.)

I was fortunate to recharge my system, and would not have considered a modern upgrade. I know there are other people who would love to have your system.

Keith