IGNORED

1971 type A tranny question/problem

I received my transmission from roger yesterday. The box was badly beat up, (thanks UPS), but it sitting happily in my garage now.

The input shaft rotates very freely and smoothly. I cam imagine it would feel better once I get some royal purple in it. The bearings that are visible input shaft appear pretty dry, but seem to roll smoothly. The ball bearings have no visible wear on them.

One thing I noticed and already bugged Arne about is that the input shaft has some play in it. Meaning if I grab the cantilevered end I can move it up and down a tiny bit. I have to assume that this is to account for the tolerance stack up and that when it is installed the pilot bushing supports that end.

Pics to be posted later today. I plan to replace the rear seal, clean up the housing to get it as clean as the rest of the underbody and then install it with a new OEM clutch.

Right now I am thinking I want to keep the car original...so I may rebuild the 4 speed, or find another.. or maybe both. Although, the feel of the 5 speed is like a bolt action rifle compared to the 4 speed. I feel once I do a 5 speed swap, then that will open up the floodgates to MANY more mods. I like the OEM'ness of it all, and I am worried that a tranny swap would detract from the value....

something to think about.

I mean how hard can it possibly be to rebuild this tranny... its so simple.

Those don't look like stock wheels to me. ;)

UPDATE: Better late than never, but I got the pictures of my new to me used tranny. Was sidetracked as I spent a few days redo-ing my garage. Added some art, paint, and shelving stuff.

Anyway, here are the tranny

4692539401_fe1a972237_b.jpg

4692539631_7bf821ff42_b.jpg

4693173932_6fe6f5cab6_b.jpg

More pics of the garage when I am done. Still some work to do.

One thing I did not realize is that there are shims on the bearings that help it mate to the bellhousing. Roger and I decided it would be best to ship the tranny without the bellhousing to save weight. But now I have to find two things:

A) the shims that go on the main shaft and the countershaft bearings that fit in between the tranny housing and the bell housing

B) The gasket that goes in between the bellhousing and the transmission housing.

I am going to call Courtesy to see if they carry them.

The bell housing gaskets were still available from Nissan last year, part number 32118-78000.

The bearing shims come in several different thicknesses. Since I didn't know what I needed for certain when I rebuilt mine, I ordered one of each thickness that was still available from Nissan. I think I got 4 or 5 different shims for each bearing. (Did the same for the internal snap rings, for the same reason.) Most of the choices were still available when I did mine a couple of years ago. Still have most of the spare shims that I didn't use. If you can figure out which thickness you need (you'll want a digital micrometer for this), shoot me a PM, as I may have it.