IGNORED

Chassis plate

vpulsar

If they were engraved, then the spacing and alignment would be perfect.

If they were engraved, then you'd be hard pressed to sand them out without having to bog the metal up to get that panel flat again.

I'd say they were all stamped.

Once you get most of the paint out (maybe using a scribe or something similar), use the old pre-school method of tracing paper and a crayon and see what rubs through.

First thing you should ever check on a car is the VIN stamp on the firewall, if it looks anything but standard, loud ringing bells should be heard in your head.

.....I also had no sign of the stamped in number on the firewall due to it having been painted quite a few times, I've stripped the paint off the area but it appears that it's been rubbed away while being prepped for painting.
As far as the stamped in chassis number goes I could make out 3000 in the paint but once I had gently remover the paint with a pad that doesn't damage metal I couldn't make anything out, If most definitely hasn't been welded or beaten in that area, I think a few going's over with a DA sander has done the damage.

So you could see "3000" in the paint, but not in the metal underneath it? Bizarre.

I think it would need a pretty good going over with a DA to completely obliterate it, and it's hard to imagine why it would need so much DA work on firewall sheetmetal once bare metal had been revealed.....

Personally speaking, if I saw a car that had had so much work done in that area that the chassis number was illegible, then I'd tend to think the worst. I've seen 2-seater bodies with 2+2 chassis numbers, and late RS30 bodies running on HS30 identities ( there's one such 'shell on eBay UK at the moment ) so they are out there. It only takes two cars to tango. If it was me, I'd have made sure that the number was legible before buying it, and/or before painting it.

If they were engraved, then the spacing and alignment would be perfect.

If they were engraved, then you'd be hard pressed to sand them out without having to bog the metal up to get that panel flat again.

I'd say they were all stamped.

No really, they were engraved. The slightly haphazard look that the numbers and letters sometimes show is due to the nature of the pantograph-style machine that was used. Nissan Shatai staff confirmed the fact to Kats when he talked to them. It's in the archives here.

No really, they were engraved. The slightly haphazard look that the numbers and letters sometimes show is due to the nature of the pantograph-style machine that was used. Nissan Shatai staff confirmed the fact to Kats when he talked to them. It's in the archives here.

eek....I take it all back. That thread must be an interesting read, off to find it.

So you could see "3000" in the paint, but not in the metal underneath it? Bizarre.

My thought exactly, I'm off out to the garage to have a better look and maybe wear my glasses this time :classic:.

Here is a few shots of it in all it's glory LOL.

001.jpg

P1000178.jpg

P1000171.jpg

And my rear disc conversion.

carcrap010.jpg

Rob

Well I've been out all afternoon working on the old heap LOL, I've taken the paint right off now and can see some of the numbers but not clearly at all, I can just make out 0000702 I think. Which is a good sign ;).

I also swapped out the standard rev counter for an Auto meter BV3990 which fits perfect with a bit of trimming.

Rob

Say, Mate:

Have you got a friend in forensics who might lend you a hand?

All Z Best,................................Kathy & Rick

You've been watching to much CSI mate ;)ROFL.

Thanks for all the advice guys, The problem is now solved I've found a company in the UK to make me a replacement plate which should see me through the UK M.O.T test.

Rob

Maybe someone can take a quick swab, run it through a fetzer valve and determine the precise age within a matter of seconds that would then lead everyone to conclude the correct vin number! :) Glad you found the number and someone to make a reproduction plate.

carl

An old musician like myself would know what a fetzer valve really is. About the only thing a wet swab might do is create a little extra distortion. Unless you're going with Irwin M. Fletcher's misuse of the term.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice and comments guys, I've solved the problem now by having a new chassis plate made, It's an exact copy of the original plate and looks the part.

Here's a picture of the car having exited the garage for the first time in 15 years in working order LOL.

newZshots001.jpg

Rob

Silly, you put the steering wheel on the wrong side

:)

Just like a yank to think driving on the right is the right way to do things LOL, I've no idea why you lot ended up on the wrong side of the road :stupid:, You must know by now that the british gave you everything useful LOLLOLLOLLOL.

Rob