IGNORED

New plastic panel fitment

mally002

Hey guys,

Has anyone ordered new plastic panels for their 240. I got the entire kit from Les but every piece is bigger than the original. I'm sure it will crack if I try and force it. The rivet holes are off also, and if I force it......CRACK.....

If anyone has installed new panels and can help me out please let me know.

Thanks,

Randy

Yes, the panels run large. They are trimed to allow for dimensional differences chassis to chassis. I had to trim mine almost 1/2" in a couple spots. Once fitted, they look great!

Thanks Julio,

I did the right side last night. Using some tin snips I was able to take off small amounts at a time until the fit was correct. I still had a few issues with one panel, but you can barely see the mistake I made........:stupid:

It seems the fitment is way off only on the rear and two speaker panels, the smaller panels appear to line up better. Hopefully I will be done today and can post some pictures.

Thanks again for the tip,

Randy

Can you use the old panels as a rough trimming guide? (assuming your car had them). You might be able to pass some wood dowels through the rivet holes as alignment pins to mark the new panels. Just a thought. Good luck.

I thought about that, but the old panels were so brittle I couldn't really get a good tracing. Also a few were cracked at the edges and I was afraid I would be off too much.

The trimming is a pain in the butt, but it worked out fine. Just took forever because you have to do small amounts then trial fit and then repeat 4,000 times more..........:tapemouth

But in the end it worked out fine. Here's a few pictures.

PS....The doglegs actually match perfectly, but for some reason look lighter in the pictures. Nothing is in permantly, just basically psedo fitted.

post-13312-14150810806067_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150810806797_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150810807243_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150810807478_thumb.jpg

post-13312-14150810807776_thumb.jpg

That blue is AWESOME, mally. Like Montezuma, my #110 was a blue/blue till 'that moron' painted everything black. Same guy? :)

The new rear trim panel I got from MSA was black with SEM vinyl dye in off white. It was larger than original, thicker too, and needed the multiple trimmings to fit the 73.

Bonzi Lon

I second and third everyones opinions. Those look amazing. You did an excellent job of putting those in. I will be in a similar position in the future. I have the replacement panels, all I need is the car back from the shop. I may need to contact you for advice. Good job! Absolutely beautiful.

carl

I got a 71 blue on blue that some moron painted the blue black a few years back. I really want to return to the blue interior...it looks awesome. Also great advice for future reference.

I didn't realize they had any blue on blue in '71. I would have guessed a white interior.