IGNORED

I broke a hard brake line. Now what?

Z-Luke

Just so anyone else who has this problem in the future knows, I managed to get the brake line disconnected at the rear valve without breaking off the threads. I spent 2 days occasionally soaking with PB Blaster, tapping with a hammer and screwdriver, and wire-brushing the visible threads. Oxy acetaline was used, but very briefly as it was causing large flames to lick over the gas lines - and that is not kew.

Left a propane torch on it for a good five minutes of uncomfortable contortioning. Smokey smokey!

Held it with big pliers because it wiggles back and forth, and twisted the brake line free. Victory! Watch out for boiling brake fluid leaking out. Safety glasses are a must.

I bent a new line in. The lines are 3/16's Japanese Metric (at least here in Canada) and you can pick them up from any auto parts store. Both PartSource and Canadian Tire had ample supply, they was SAE standard, Euro Metric and Japanese Metric. The J-Metric was the correct type for my car. I bought a tube bender from $9.99 from Canadian Tire.

I have not tested the system yet as I have to resolve my broken off bleeder screw on the other side.