IGNORED

Red Paint

racer88

Hi

I am trying to decide what colour to paint my early 260, red or yellow. If I go yellow I have a colour all picked out. I am looking for opinions as to what original red is brighter 105 or 110.

Bob

Edited by racer88
spelling

Hi

I am trying to decide what colour to paint my early 260, red or yellow. If I go yellow I have a colour all picked out. I am looking for opinions as to what original red is brighter 105 or 110.

Bob

Did you mean 905 or 110?

If so, 905 is a warm red, with just a touch of an orange tint. 110 is more of an red-orange color. Neither are what I'd describe as a true red. For that you'd need to go to an non-original color.

Do you want original red or a brighter red?

One of our members painted her Z a red from Ferrari and it is a show stopper. Another is guard read.

Reds and or Yellows can be tricky . I have seen many of each of them that miss the mark in my opinion. I went with Ford's Screaming Yellow, before yellow became as popular as it is now. I think that now, between the two, I would go with the Ferrari Red . Yellow as much as I do like it , is a more trendy color. Red is classic and always popular.

When I was trying to decide what color to go with , I went to the PPG web site and looked at the color popularity chart, for the different countries. At the time Silver was the most popular in Europe, Blue in the USA and Yellow in Australia. Yellow was way down the list in the USA.

Since Yellow had been on my mind , and I rather stand out than blend in. LOL I started looking at Yellow cars, in parking lots. Much better than looking at a paint chip. Ford came out with my yellow on the Mustang Cobra in '04 for the '05 model year and that nailed it for me.

In my opinion , paint your Z the color that YOU like the best. You are the one that has to live with it . We shot two stage and I am sooo glad I did.

Gary

Gary is right, Toni's 240Z (the Ferrari red one) does look good if you are wanting a true vibrant red. Her color jumps out at you, and the difference between her red and my factory 905 is quite striking when the cars are parked next to one another. So if using a stock color isn't important, I'd do what Gary did. Go cruise a parking lot and look for a shade you like.

You are correct, I did mean 905. I am looking for a bright red, not necessarily an original colour, just thought if I could combine the two that would be great. I agree that reds and yellows are tricky colours to get just right. It is made even worse to choose by looking on the internet as most camera's and available light can change the look and shade of what you see. I have had a car that was guards red, nice and bright but very deep. i will check out the ferrari red because if anyone can get red right it should be those guys :)

I have been working on the car for a year and a half and have changed my mind on colour about once a month. Every time I see a sharp looking z I think thats it. My wife and kids have a lottery going as to what the final choice will be LOL

Green hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Bob

I am looking for a bright red, not necessarily an original colour....
I would not call either of the two original colors "bright red". You'll be happier with a non-original color, I think.

I just saw a new honda civic si coupe with a red so bright my eyes hurt! Could this be the new colour? Sure looks like it. Going to the bodyshop this morning to get a progress report. I am going to try to find a 260 model that I can build and paint as many times as I need to get an idea of what the final colour will look like, not to many real zed's in my part of Ontario to look at

Bob

Mine is also Porche Guards Red and it is a bright red, sunglasses help. Love the colour but not the cost of it. Here's the pick that made my mind up.

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=5481

Don't rely on computer monitors to make your mind up on a colour as they are all different colour temperatures etc. Make a short list and make contact with car clubs in your area and go and see the cars in the sunlight/shade/night. Only way to make up your mind IMO.