IGNORED

Duel Points

billyz

i have a 1973 240z with an automatic trans. it has dual points and can't be changed to electronic ignition. would like to change the distributer to single points so i can go with the pertronix setup. can anyone tell me why the auto trans. models have dual points. can it be changed to single points, if not why?

bill

I had one changed to single points on my first Z. You need the single point breaker plate. So basically, you need either parts from a single point distributor (which I had), or you need a whole single point distributor to take parts from, and at that point why not just install the single point distributor? But if you're going to buy a single point distributor, why not just buy a ZX distributor? Then you get a better advance curve from a performance perspective and it's already EI, so you don't need the pertronix parts.

i have a 1973 240z with an automatic trans. it has dual points and can't be changed to electronic ignition. would like to change the distributer to single points so i can go with the pertronix setup. can anyone tell me why the auto trans. models have dual points. can it be changed to single points, if not why?

bill

What's wrong with your distributor?

I have a brand new old stock distributor assembly for your car with AT/dual points. I would keep it stock. There is nothing wrong with point system, if you have stock engine.

:)

bill

Billy, My Z was an automatic originally. Like yours it had duel points. This is for emissions, one set is supposed to be active until the engine warms up. Then the thermo switch activates the other set of points.

I like many of us, switched to the electronic ZX ignition and in my opinion this is the way to go. My engine runs smoother and better and the dist. is almost maintenance free. You still need to clean the dist cap every year or so. The one I have is from a '79ZX and I have been running it for going on 10 years.

About keeping the Z original. Just toss the old dist into a box and stick it on a shelf. If your Z is all original otherwise , that is completely stock, paint, hub caps and so on. That is one thing . But if it is modified like a different color or what ever then keeping it all original is a non issue.

Gary

The dual points setup was to allow a change in ignition timing after the engine reached temperature or something like that. Only one set of points is in the ignition circuit at any one time. (Must make setting the dwell a real pain...)

I suspect that this would actually be a good candidate for an electronic ignition upgrade.

There is nothing wrong with point system, if you have stock engine.

This is catagorically false.Points are antiquated garbage and have no business being ANYTHING other than a 100 point show car.

As far as the Electronic up-grade goes,any distributor/tach issue can be resloved.

This is catagorically false.Points are antiquated garbage and have no business being ANYTHING other than a 100 point show car.

As far as the Electronic up-grade goes,any distributor/tach issue can be resloved.

I think you're overstating the case. I ran points and my first Z did fine. I think your argument is too generic. Make a point like "they can't rev to xxxx rpm" or "the spark energy is weak because a full 12 volts to the coil will burn up the points" or something like that. The argument you have made is too generic. One could just as easily say "carburetors are antiquated garbage" or "macpherson struts are antiquated garbage" or "drum brakes are antiquated garbage" etc. EI is better because it gives a stronger spark and doesn't suffer from point bounce at high rpms, but that doesn't mean that points don't work. They just don't work as well.

• 4 weeks later...