IGNORED

Replacement Seat Belts

SteveJ

SteveJ,

I know you said installation was so easy but I have one question. On the retractor that mounts at the top did you put washers or some other type of spacer between the retractor and the mounting hole?

My other Z, a late build '73, had two retractors and the top one has a built in spacer to hold it out away from the interior of the car about a quarter of an inch since it isn't flat enough there for the retractor to sit flush against the interior.

I've attached a picture of my old '73 belt retractor.

thanks,

Trevor

post-6558-14150812242457_thumb.jpg

Edited by ta240

I thought that would be the simple solution but wasn't sure if it would affect safety or something. Just seemed too simple. And I was nervous about trying it as once I bolted them down they weren't returnable.

Edited by ta240

• 4 weeks later...

just an update for anyone that is interested. I got the drivers side belt installed.

I went with the Roadster Retractable belt from wescoperformance.com with the 11" sleeve on the receiver. Used a left over seat height spacer and a couple washers to space the retractor out away from the side panel. I cut the bottom end of the sleeve off so that it could flex more to match up to the mounting hole on the car and used one of their thick 90 degree adapters from their hardware kit to space it out away from the bottom of the floor area so I could tighten it up enough. I just used the adapter as a spacer so I probably should have cut the unused half off but since it is completely out of sight I didn't bother.

I wish the belt was a bit wider so it was more like stock but overall it is great. Having had retractable ones in my last 240 (later build) I missed them in this one but didn't feel safe putting the old ones I had in due to problems with them. The non-retractable shoulder belt that was in there was so annoying, either too loose or too tight. And I'd end up hitting a sharp enough bump at some point on my drive that I'd bounce up and then down in the seat and the lap belt would click down tighter so I'd have to undo and redo it to keep blood flowing.

Still have to put the passenger one in but so far it is the best $180 (for both sides) I've spent in a long while on the car. Will try to snap some pictures when I do the passenger side.

welr-n.jpg

In response to Arne's "has anyone considered..." question.

I have... I sent them to Snake-Oyl Products but haven't heard back yet. My car is kind of half, restoration appearance wise, and track car underneath... So, it has both competition and stock belts...

Edited by conedodger

I have... I sent them to Snake-Oyl Products but haven't heard back yet. My car is kind of half, restoration appearance wise, and track car underneath... So, it has both competition and stock belts...

I know we are dealing with a 73 and mine is a 71 so mine might cost less since they don't retract. What are they saying it is going to cost?

I thought about them but it took two emails to even get a reply and I figured there'd be no way they could come close to $180 for both since mine had retractors top and bottom. On the 2nd email they replied that they'd need to see them first before they could give me an estimate. I saved the belts in my boxes of Z stuff in the attic as another 'just incase' or 'maybe someday' item.

Edited by ta240