IGNORED

Retro Sound Install

Zedyone_kenobi

I am afraid that the nicks your seeing 70 Cam Guy are due to the flash from the dremel cut off wheel. It more melts the ABS than it does cut it. So a large chuck of plastic gets melted and moved to the downstream side of the cut-off wheel where it re-hardens. When you file it off, it took part of the front of the face plate. Next time, I will cut off outside of where I want it, and then file my way to the right position.

I am going to try to make something more flush mounted and fit the curves of the 240Z a bit more. I may even try to make some lettering above the knobs that matches the font on the stock center console. That would be a nice challenge, and would make it look stock.

Arne if you are willing to part with the ABS, sure I will be happy to have it. Let me pay for shipping or something. I was going to go to the craft store or Home depot and see if they had any.

I still got plenty of that textured ABS if you need it Arne. Or who ever.

Dave

Well Dave, you gave me far more than I needed for free, so if I can remember where I stashed the excess, it's only right that I should pass along your generosity.

Nice job Stephen. Thanks for sharing the details and pics of your install. I look forward to hearing more about the sound and operation of the unit, especially in relation to the MP3 functionality.

Vinyl in a moving car? I think SO!

Check this link or google "car record player":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4kleuren/104338856/

Wow Dennis, that's pretty damn cool. I had no idea.

I remember seeing record players in cars. It wasn't a very popular thing to have, for obvious reasons and never caught on.

I guess I missed out on this novelty while still learning to walk and talk. And I thought I was one of the older ones around here. LOL

email me at mrobbins@retrosoundusa.com with your address and we'll get you another plate, thanks for the nice thread guys!

Michael

Indeed, the guys at Retrosound are sending me another plate, free of charge. Nothing like service after the sale. Kudos to Retrosound for helping me out.

=Enigma= As far as MP3 capability, I have not tried that out yet, but ipod compatibility through the AUX input is great, sound quality is clear and crisp though the internal amp. I have to try to convert some itunes format music to MP3 so I can stash them on a memory stick. After I do that I will know how it handles having hundreds of sounds and the sound quality through the MP3 player. I usually ride with my ipod hooked up, but having the USB is a wonderful feature since it does not require any charging.

I am not using an external amp of any kind so my reviews will only reflect what the internal amp can do. I am also running some mediocre pioneer 6x9's with average sensitivity, TS-G971M are the model number. They sound fine and orders of magnitude compared to my dry rotted realistic.

If people are interested, I will do a complete write up on functionality and ease of use, install, etc.

I have to add a continuation to this.

Retrosound just sent me a VERY nice package in the mail. The included a new plastic front cover and they included a 70-73 datsun template. They also sent me newer control knobs that really look like they belong in a Datsun.

Kudos to great customer service

I look forward to seeing new pictures when you have time for the installation. Glad to hear RetroSound came through for you. I thought they probably would when I originally mentioned them getting involved in post #34. They seem to be a good company.

Dennis

I look forward to seeing new pictures when you have time for the installation. Glad to hear RetroSound came through for you. I thought they probably would when I originally mentioned them getting involved in post #34. They seem to be a good company.

Dennis

Ask and you shall receive..

Remember, Before:

4286193756_58b34c0170_b.jpg

After:

4313812900_9dfef41a26_b.jpg

Before:

4285452823_d9c915a4c2_b.jpg

After, Notice the new knobs they gave me. Looks very period correct:

4313812830_01c1014af5_b.jpg

I consider this mod to be almost a wrap. I think if I get some of those rub on decals from the hobby store, I can duplicate the font for VOL/POWER, and TUNE. Should not bet that hard. I may try that. If I do, then I will update this thread. IF not, then its been fun and I am very happy with the results.