IGNORED

What about the Z432-R ?

zcar70

Or as we call them "tribute" cars.
Really, theres no shame in having a Z432, or a nicley redone s30 made to look like an R, so long as its honestly represented, IMHO.

I have absolutely no problem with replicas, lookalikes, 'tribute' cars - whatever we want to call them ( I'm building a 432-R replica / lookalike myself.... ) - as long as they are correctly represented. The problems come about when people start thinking they are the real thing, and using them as datum points to judge others - sometimes, ironically enough, including the real thing - and getting it all wrong.

Having said that, I don't know if there's some element of Lost in Translation involved in the story of the car in Thailand. The owner might not be calling it The Real Thing at all for all I know. It might be that the 7Tune guy got the wrong end of the stick. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on that.

The bigger problem is that getting it all wrong is a trait seen all too often on the like of 7Tune, Speedhunters and the others. These blogs have incredible power and are very influential. The stuff they publish spreads around the 'net like wildfire, and when it's wrong - as it so often is on obscure topics like the 432-R - it sticks. Even when you point out the mistakes, and if they allow them to stay in the comments section, people don't pay any attention or simply re-blog bowdlerised versions of the original. This is how the world will end, I reckon. Sisyphus had it easy, I tell you.....

Just asking, did the Rs come with finned differential housings?

No, just the plain vanilla R192 ( R190 ) flat alloy cover, same as the 432.

Easier to replicate... ! :)

Alan, thanks. Agree on all points- tonight a group of 4 of us prepping our cars for Monterey took time off for dinner to get together and discuss cars. We concluded how easy it would be to start buying up a particular marque or model, pay a publicist to generate hype around it, and sell when the market goes up. Stuff in print somehow becomes fact- its probably a byproduct from the days when we all got our information from reputable sources like encyclopedias. Nowadays everyone with a keyboard can become an expert.

Fred,

I wish I could have been on that trip with you.

As a side note not a 432-R but a PS30 is now in the states. Tom over on Japanese Nostalgic Car Forum imported one to go with his KPGC10 and KPGC110. :love:

DSC01319.JPG

DSC01324.JPG

More pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/xs10shl

Haha, notice the color....920. And everyone tells me how much they hate it. Eat your hearts out!

• 2 weeks later...

Time to query Alan about finishing his own soon-to-be-marvelous Z42-R tribute. I saw pictures posted on another website a few days ago - car looks fantastic- a top job from what I could tell.

Care to post some more pictures here Alan? I think there's a statute of limitations on how long you're allowed to ignore a restoration before finishing it, LOL!

I have been lucky enough to see it a few weeks, ago, out of the top draw....worth the wait. Alan has done a fantastic job. And the work involved, not just dropping a S20 and there you go.... No pics I am afraid, toooo busy taking it all in.

• 2 months later...