IGNORED

Whats your Z plan for 2010?

stevef1972z

I'll be finishing my LT1 V8/T56 6-speed '73 240Z. I already rebuilt the suspension with KYB struts, Eibach springs and urethane bushings. Replaced the R180 with a 3.9 R200. New brakes all around. A set of 17" Rotas waiting for new shoes. The LT1 is still at the machine shop nearing completion. Most of the body work is done, just need to tackle the left rear quarter, plus a few holes in the floor. Stuck another LT1 in there so I can start on the underhood details, accelerator cable, clutch, wiring, fuel lines, etc... while I wait for the rebuilt engine.

post-6323-14150809568426_thumb.jpg

I plan on getting my 78 280z finished this year if at all possible. I went from a junkyard destined heap to running heap to gut it all out and restore it. So far I have the motor rebuilt and a 5-Speed tranny to go behind it. While the motor is out I have the engine bay repainted, all rust areas repaired on entire car and all suspension removed bead blasted re-painted and re-installed with new springs and struts. I am working on the brake system now with new parts just in. Man these little cars do take alot of time, but I can't wait till it's done.

Mike

Later this month, Zeke will head to the body shop. Recently recieved my BRE front spoiler and louverd inspection panels. Next comes the orignal white paint. Then its off to the Glenwood Springs Rally in June. Second half of the year will be suspension and powder coating.

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends on my posting, but it will probably be learning to speak french. For my third summer in a row.

If I get french, it's a straight 8:30-3:00 work days, nothing really to worry about. This would be the ideal option for my z, as we could spend much time getting to know each other.

This is followed by about a month of paid leave, just me and the 240.

Oh, the things we could do... (ranked priority, not necessarily actual order)

(being done: engine is in pieces in the shop. Warped pistons, worn guide, slack chain, dying cam. After this, the triples will be tuned.)

**During the Winter: Read** I'm still quite new to being my own mechanic.

1. Complete flush of all fluids

2. Brake pads, check rotors, balance tires

3. Dave's PLH/HLH upgrades, with the "improved" fusebox from MSA

4. "Fixed the door slamming issue" improvement from hybridz

5. Working door locks.

7. Fabricate some 5 1/4" fibreglass kicker/rocker pod speakers to bolt in by the feet. I'm also a bit of an audiophile.

Lots of wiring and electrical. I dislike electrical ever since my shocking/welding incident of fiddling with wires with the battery connected. Alas...

6. Car alarm and working door locks, before installing anything expensive

7. -- Eclipse deck install

-- PG Amp mounted and installed, wires ran properly

-- Inline fuses added to a second wire from the + terminal (stereo only) and before the + terminal on the amp. No accidental welding.

-- Sub enclosure built around spare tire area for solo 12" PG sub. Probably crossover at 80hz. I like the idea of hiding the amp there, too. Credit this amp idea to looking at Dave's pictures.

-- Equalizer mounted to the back of the passenger seat, for now.

-- Stereo testing, and possibly an alternator upgrade.

-- Laser shifters installed

-- Laser detector installed.

-- Receiver for the above two mounts below the head unit (stereo deck).

-- By this time, the wiring under the hood (and throughout the car) needs cleaning up and can be made tight.

8. Body work.

--Replace right fender and headlight bucket. A gift from Dad. I guess his little 240 was hard to see, all covered in snow :ermm:

--Straighten and bondo the crunch dent in the rear frame, above the bumper and below the hatch.

9. -- Maybe look at straightening the nose of the bonnet. That was a gift from my mother.

And finally..

Install the headlight covers from MSA that my wife bought my mistress for Christmas :love:

Unless I get actual training, in which case I get the necessary stuff done before I leave, and might be able to tinker some on the weekends. This is extremely unlikely.

I may get posted to go somewhere doing something else, but so long as it's not pass/fail "career on the line" style training, I should have plenty of free time. I'd probably just take it more seriously than learning french. No disrespect intended.

Arne, I am in love with your paint job. Really in love. She's so beautiful.

My z will get semi-matching red spray paint (aerosol style) for about another 15-20 months, when I can afford paint, a compressor, and a gun.

Edited by fiveleaf

My body & paint guy finished my '71 240Z about a month and a half ago and he's storing the car for me until I'm ready for him deliver it (probably in a couple weeks or so).

Once I get my Z home, I will need to install the tail lights, front turn signal and parking lights. I will then install the freshly re-chromed bumpers and then start on the interior, which will probably take me at least a month to complete in my spare time. Finally, I will install all the emblems and then have the new wheels and tires installed. Hopefully, I will have her on the road by early April.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Finish Engine rebuild. DONE

2. Test Drive. DONE

3. Wheels and Tires. DONE

4. Break in Engine, Fluid change, final valve check, head torque.

5. Paint or polish brakes, now visible through the wheels...

6. Finish the 240 bumper swap-shave rear completely or improve current home-made bar, clean up current chrome front 240 bumper or replace with fiberglass from MSA.

7. Continue replacing rubber around/under/in car...bushings, seals, weatherstripping, etc.

8. Replace faded carpet.

9. Replace worn door panels.

10. Replace windshield. 30 years of chips...

11. bodywork...minor door dings around car.

Daily drive to work and weekend cruises around all this!

I want to remove both park bench bumpers on my '77. Maybe find some good 240 bumpers. Possibly new wheels & tires. More than likely new exhaust. And if I'm lucky, some minor body work & new paint. Since I got the heater core & valve replaced, just enjoying heated driving without foggy windows or that oh-not-so pleasant antifreeze scent!!!!

Finish installing the Vintage Air HVAC and enjoy driving her!

Lots of small stuff like installing the new hatch strut, un-squeak the seats, etc.

Get 5-speed rebuilt and install next winter along with the improved diff mount.