IGNORED

'72 240z Muffler recommendations?

dntpunchgrandpa

Thanks Mike! Doh, I think that I might have been there earlier and was just confused. Now that I been there again, I guess that I would like to see or know which tip/muffler to get/ponder! The Web site has a dizzying array of stuff including a pic of a ruined SEMA modified early Corvette!

Another point that I need to learn is what size of exhaust is rotting away on my 260Z.

I believe you need to see things "outside the box" and do your own thinking without having someone or some site hand feed you all the info....

It took me less than a minute to click through the website from main page to mufflers (05) to price list ($129.). It's 18-inches long and 6-inches in diameter.

Does it list this muffler as one for 240? Nope. Do I know how big a space there is to put a muffler in an S30? Yes. What style and size do I want for my Z? A round one and not one that looks like a mail box, so hence the 05 style in 2.5-inch inlet/outlet diameter with a GT3.5 tip.

They also list a contact number to call and since this company is part of the Jim Cook Racing family, they could walk you through the process of selecting the right one for a Z.

It sure must make driving difficult if someone has to hold your hand.....

Edited by gnosez

Gnose, you talking to me? If so, thanks for holding my hand! Come on down and help me with my driving, too. I had respect for your apparent knowledge of zcars whereas there was no internet since the last time I drove my Z. I figured if someone who I perceive as a very knowledgeable person( yeah, I have done a lot of searching lately and you do show up on the net) went with a particular part, then at the very least I should look into it. I also figured that person would be able to point out where to get this item after posting about said item without an attitude.

Was it real hard for you to point out what exact part was available on that site that you had on your car without trying to ridicule me? You dont know me. But, now I have a good idea about you! Is this how you treat your customers when they have a specific question?

Do I still respect your knowledge after the insults you threw at me? Yes.

Do I respect you as a person - not so much now.

Would I like to meet you in person - you betcha.

You are a real piece of work. WTF, go get laid or something. Maybe then, I can come up to Boston the next time I visit my my family in Connecticut and we can hoist some beers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I am not here to be an a-hole. I have NEVER been attacked on any other site like this. I try to share what I know on 69-78 Honda 750 Sandcast's and Honda SOHC choppers having extensive experience with them for over 35 years. I help guys even when I am holding their hands for the umpteeth time - I just dont make fun of their computer skills or writing/spelling skills even if I have to work at getting them squared away. I cant ride or wrench much on my bikes anymore due to being disabled and old, but that dont stop me from trying. This longevity does not make me "the" expert, I am always leaning something new from a young kid or another old-timer. I think that I can contribute to this forum in some way and earn some modicum of respect from all of you regulars. Be it checking out or picking up a part/car for someone here in Texas to walking out to my garage and looking at my 74 Z to check for originality for someone - I am the original owner. I have picked up and stored bikes and or parts and also helped with shipping them out of my garage for some folks.

Thanks ARNE for supplying more info. I appreciate it and look forward to other members posting on this thread.

Grassrootsmotorsports.com has tested several mufflers and several cat backs also Popular hotrod. If you can find the tests you will who did best. Pipe size is important to understabd so you can get out what you want. I used 2 1/4 with a turbo cherry bomb style muffler with a 280z ANSA tips it sounded good and it run good at low mid and top end. I am not into racing but I like to gain economy and power. Now I have an old style MONSA muffler from pace setter this was made back in the late 70's it sounds great but is to loud I can not listen to the Rolling Stones because is to loud, when I was young yea, now that I am old I want quite.

easy gentleman, we're all here to help each other out, thats why we joined. Let's get back to the topic at hand, mufflers.

on that note I was poking around the web and now I'm thinking I'd like to get back to that stacked dual outlet look. Any suggestions?

p.s. thanks for all the input guys, I've got a running list of options that I'm going to have to research deeper and narrow down. I'll post what I find in terms of price, performance and where to find it. Good stuff. keep it comin!

Edited by dntpunchgrandpa

Maytin,

in response to your post I agree with you on the matters of economy and power, and since this car is my primary means of transportation, I'm concerned primarily with those two factors. In terms of how loud it is, I'm a young guy who learned stick in his dad's dodge viper which we frequently track and I have been going NHRA drag races since age 5. soooo.. that being said I dont mind loud too much so long as it sounds GOOD and isnt obnoxious to the point every cop can get out their pen and pad before I round the turn :)

p.s. you've got good taste in music

Old Hemi - no offense intended as my comments where not directed at you but I do stand by them. The same way I stand by my recommendation for a muffler and all the parts I sell.

If you come up to CT let me know as I drive through there several times a month and know any number of places to hoist a few. As to driving assistance, if you time it right maybe I'll be your instructor at one of the race course tracks in New England (Lime Rock in Ct, Loudon, in NH, The Glen in NY or NJMS in NJ).

Edited by gnosez

Gnosez - OK, cool. Sorry on my attack on you. I can understand your frustration. I have been to all of the tracks that you mention plus most of the stock car tracks and Laconia. I am hoping that you come up with some more stuff because i have not found one person knockig your stuff. Your floor rails are mighty tempting. Hey I'll buy the beers! But I wont drink that Sam Adams stuff.........

Mayitin - I want something that is at the same noise level as my old system. I cant remember what the stuff was. But, I did put a Monza on my MGB at 19 years old and it WAS loud. Thanks for reminding me! I hope to hook up with some Houston area Zhedz and review their exhaust systems and see whats what.

Hemi - Race tracks in NE? As a driver? MGs?

Go to www.baddogparts.com, click on "about us" then scroll down on the right side until you get to "video2".

You can get a partial sense of the sound of the Sebring Tuning muffler. You could also call Rebello and ask them to hold the phone near the engine dyno.

Edited by gnosez