IGNORED

'72 240z Muffler recommendations?

dntpunchgrandpa

Hey guys. I was was wondering what is recommended. I currently have tuned ceramic tuned MSA headers running into 2 1/2 inch pipe that reduces down to 2 inch at a dynomax 1 in 1 out muffler. The engine is just the stock 2.4L engine with the head milled once.

I Used to have a cherry bomb glass pack and loved the sound but it didnt generate enough back pressure and my low end power suffered. My chief complaint with the current muffler is that it does not mount flush under the body, a bit of it hangs down and its just an eye sore to me. Its not a mounting issue as it is mounted as high as can be but due to its length, as the body lines on the rear low quarter panel curve upward toward the bumper it protrudes 6 inches or so. I DO NOT want the rice rocket boom toobs.

what I'm looking for is increased performance, loud but with good tone, flush mounting and good backpressure

I was looking at Flowmaster's Hushpower HP-2 series. Any thoughts?

this is the site.

http://www.hushpower.com

Thanks!

You can eliminate the low hanging effect by installing the MSA muffler backwards. The actual documentation on that muffler states that it can be installed either way with no detrimental effects on performance.

I left mine installed in the original orientation just because...

ANSA all the way :) ! I've sold these things litarally world wide with no complaints. Hawaii, New Zealand, Tailand. Aus. Member Zedyone_Kenobi can vouch for them. He say they sound like Fararri's from the old La Mans days, (you know, 50 's 60's Gran Prix 's.) . He runs a similar set up not far off from where you can be with a sound clip if you search for it. He can tell you where the power band lies at as well in the Low range mid range or high range. Not to sound like a plug but I have a kit version in the classifieds good for 2 or upto 4 inches inlet diameter. But do your research and ask around as these are Vintage and Not junky ricer parts.

Edited by WingZr0

I used to have ANSA on my Z they are great, I did not know they still made the set up for the 240. I had the a turbo cherry bomb and ANSA tips and sounded great. Now that I am much older I like a quite but deep sound. The Dynomax is a very good muffler has a very good flow how does it sound? If you take it off I may just get it from you:classic:

Maytin, its starting to sound like ANSA might be the way to go. How was the back pressure and low end on the set up you had with the cherry bomb and ansa tips? thats my only concern with going with a glass pack since I had one before and the low end of my power band was almost non existent due to a lack of back pressure.

And the dynomax that I have had on there now has been there a little over a year now. Its blown out a bit of the fiberglass inside so its a just a tad bit louder. At idle and cruising speeds it has a good low deep growl to it which I do like but should you decide to grab a gear and stand on it, it gets louder and you do get that great inline six 240 sound. My only complaint with it is that like i said, it protrudes just a a bit from under the body, Its not nice and flush like the smaller stock mufflers. I can post a pic if you like.

. . . As Dave says -"if I have to listen to it all day it better sound good" . . .
My new favorite quote LOL ! That Sebring Tunning sounds interesting. Thing about Ansa's though is they don't make Z stuff no more. I'm good at tracking them down but the best place to find them is Ebay most ofthen.

Gnose (or anyone else), would you please expand on the "Sebring Tuning muffler"? I have a 260Z which has no cat, but still has an old header on that I hope to repair - rest of the exhaust system is not so good. If you could point me in a direction on the web or elsewhere, I would appreciate it!