IGNORED

restoring a z

76flz

So I got a 76 RHD Fairlady Z and it doesn't run and its pretty rusted and the interior is so so. Everything is written in Japanese. The guy I bought it from was on here his handle was rsshelton1 so if you look at that post that's the car.

My question is:

What should I do to get it back to a daily driver?

S

Edited by 76flz
more info

First off how bad is the said rust? Secondly when you say it doesn't run exactly what do you mean? Does the engine crank at all? Have you changed any of the fluids in the engine? When did it last run? I would start by probably fixing the rust. You can't really drive a car with it falling apart really.

Jan

The floorboards are rusted out and the back of the hatch on the sides. The paint is super bubbly on the rocker arms and there is surface rust on the hood, the battery holder and god knows where else. The engine wont crank at all even when I put a brand new battery in... nothing happens. My friend said that it was running in 2007. I haven't changed any fluids. I'm worried about the dash its got a huge crack in it and it might be hard to find a new one for RHD.

Is my first step to take everything off the body? I am a little worried that because I have no auto experience I may have a lot of trouble putting it back in.

The floorboards are rusted out and the back of the hatch on the sides. The paint is super bubbly on the rocker arms and there is surface rust on the hood, the battery holder and god knows where else. The engine wont crank at all even when I put a brand new battery in... nothing happens. My friend said that it was running in 2007. I haven't changed any fluids. I'm worried about the dash its got a huge crack in it and it might be hard to find a new one for RHD.

Is my first step to take everything off the body? I am a little worried that because I have no auto experience I may have a lot of trouble putting it back in.

Possibly a bad move by trying to start it before doing maintenance but if the engine didn't even turn no harm should have been done.

Read this thread, lots of good information in it about getting the engine in good condition before trying to start it. Particularly Carl's posts.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22619&highlight=sleeping+beast

At this point of time I doubt a crack in your dash is much to worry about. You can always fill the cracks and make it look new again. I doubt if anyone makes a dash cap for rhd.

If the floor boards are bad you'll more than likely need to need new ones. I'm not 100% but i think there probably the same kind of lhd 280z's. I think MSA sells them. Start searching this forum about rust removal and cover up (Por-15).

Good luck post pics when you can.

There are companies that can re-cover your dash, and there's even a method described somewhere on this list to fill the crack (with pretty good results). However, that's the least of your problems.

If you have no auto experience, you might try having a mechanic look at the car to give you some idea what is required to get it running. I wouldn't advise disassembling the car without a plan or reason to do so.

Edited by FastWoman

http://picasaweb.google.com/dwpickeral/2009121776flz?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/dwpickeral/76flz?feat=directlink

Here are a bunch of photo's of the car. I am kind of worried it may be a knock off because wouldn't the e-brake and shifter be reversed? Also the center console opens with its top toward the driver as if it were meant for left hand drive car.

I guess I was thinking I had to take it apart because how else would a body shop get to everywhere it needs to fix?

I will do the engine work before I try to start it again but I am worried that there is a red wire that is cut and it is not original and no clue what if anything is failing at this point. Is there anyone in the Atlanta area who wouldn't mind spending a Saturday with me trying to get it going? I'd provide everything including beer and steak dinner if you could provide the know how.

I am excited to start though it seems that there is enough room for even my fat hands to work on the car.

I think I'll call her Rusty haha.

Anyway based on the pics how would you plan out restoring this car?

Edited by 76flz

Wow, she sure is rough. :disappoin

I would be very concerned about the amount of structural rust. You can already see a lot, and there is going to be much more that you can't see. To do it correctly, and safely, the car would have to be taken down to the shell then repaired. No patch work. Cut out the bad and weld in the new.

Then....rebuilding the drivetrain, electrical system and interior. In sum, it is safe to say that the car would cost more to fix (at least $30k) than it would be worth.

But on the bright side, there are TONS of good valuable parts there! :classic:

Good Luck!

Naw she doesn't look too bad. Rust looks like it's going to be a fairly big issue. If I were you I'd first make a list of everything that needs to be done and break it up into little things then start doing them. Start looking for parts car in local pull a parts and craigslist. I'd probably be easier to find a new hatch then to repair that one. Same goes for floor pains.

Personally I'd try and take care of the rust before anything else. That's going to be the most expensive part of all of this and is a very important part. Save up, get quotes and try and find someone who can do the wielding for you (unless of course you can do it yourself), then go from there.

In the mean time as I said try and find local replacement parts on the cheap.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/30-7319

Also it's not a "knockoff "the e brake and tranny look how they should.

Then....rebuilding the drivetrain, electrical system and interior. In sum, it is safe to say that the car would cost more to fix (at least $30k) than it would be worth.

I'm sure most people on this forum put more into their cars then their worth. As long as they enjoy them who cares. You don't lose money until you sell. But ya it's going to cost a ton to get this looking good again. 30k might be a bit high but expect at least 10-20k(of course I haven't' a clue how much rust removal costs, that one of the only things I got lucky on with my Z)

Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm sure most people on this forum put more into their cars then their worth. As long as they enjoy them who cares. You don't lose money until you sell. But ya it's going to cost a ton to get this looking good again. 30k might be a bit high but expect at least 10-20k(of course I haven't' a clue how much rust removal costs, that one of the only things I got lucky on with my Z)

Good luck and keep us posted.

For sure we put a lot of $$ into our cars (speaking from experience)! :classic:

But believe me, for the amount of chassis work this car is going to need plus bodywork/paint plus parts plus labor etc, etc, etc..... 30 grand is not high at all. Heck, a decent paint job alone can easily be $6k.

BUT, do it for the love, not the numbers.... :love:

Yeah, I'm not doing this to sell it I am doing this for me. I always wanted a z car. I've had a 200sx and 240sx and I always wanted a 240z. This 260 fell into my lap and the price was very good I think (1K). I have budgeted 16k for the restore but I really want to save by doing what I can on my own and maybe find someone in the area who enjoys working on old cars (and knows what they are doing) to help.

The transmission in it is a 4 speed and I am told the transmission in the trunk is a 5spd. there is a ton of parts in the back seat.

Also that link for the floor pans won't fit a 2+2

So I guess my question is do I even bother trying to start it or do I just strip it? Can anyone say what the whole process of the restore should be, like from a project manor standpoint not focusing on the minute but overall?

Edited by 76flz
more info

Don't worry about the dash, when the time comes, it will be possible to search in UK or OZ.

As said above, take care of the rust first, or you will end up putting it on CL with a re build engine, a pile of parts you have collected and a rusty chassis.

Chris

2 cents:

Use it for a thousand dollars worth of parts and buy a better shell to start with. I've done this sort of thing for years and years. With the experience you have, you will never be able to get this car saved, even with $16K. Spend 2K on a good shell, use the parts from this one and you will be way better off in the long run. Worrying now about the dash, paint, etc, very premature. You have a very long time before you care any where near any of that.

It is great to dream. Keep the dream, but do it with a different car.

FWIW

Leonard