IGNORED

Jumping in with 2

ArnieTX

I'm driving. Got it running last night about 1AM and took it for a spin. Brakes are good and replaced clutch slave cylinder. Also found out it needs a clutch as it slips under a floored pedal.

Will be installing a gas tank and clutch soon and adjusting the valves. Definitely needs some suspension love and a few metal patches on the floor. It was so much fun to get in it and actually drive it. I can't believe how tight the turning radius is. This thing makes a quick uturn.

Once I get it roadable where I can get it on public streets, I'll be striping down #3 to metal. If you could see the grin on my face.....

:)

I think we all know that feeling. They are a lot of fun, and wait till you fell the ride when it is all together you can fell the car it tells you what it feels without beating you up. Make sure the boots on the rack are still good you don't want stuff getting in it gets costly to repair, if the rubber is old sometimes when you start driving the car they will crack open. Hopefully you can get it safe enough soon to take your kids for a short joy ride they will get a kick out of it and it's cheaper than taking them to the amusement park (only if you were going to drive it anyways). That's one more Z out of the junk pile, well almost out:)

Got the gas tank back and new hoses on the fuel system. It actually runs good but without the temp gauge working I don't want to run it too long. I drove it around the farm a little this evening, it definitely needs a clutch. I played with the adjustment on the slave and could never get it to where it wouldn't slip and go into gear. A freeze plug is also leaking by the oil filter.

Studied the temp gauge troubleshooting threads and will poke around tomorrow to see what I can find. I love that little car :) . I'll be stripping down #3 pretty soon and will try to build a rotisserie. Got my eye on a sodal blaster from Eastwood. Chugging along.

Thanks

Sounds great some people have put plans up for some nice rotisseries over the years you might want to do a search of the forums. Also you can find some nice made units that don't cost to much, were all you need to make is a good mounting bracket. Theirs one out their that you don't need to lock to keep the car at a certain angle, but you can rotate it when ever you need too.

Larry78247 lives an hour away and has his Series 1 on a rotisserie is his garage. I met with him last month to check out his project. He has cut a lot of rust away and replaced a lot of metal on his car. He also showed me some really cool tools for the process and shared some of his techniques. I'm looking forward to jumping into that part of the process.

I'm saving my money for one of these.

http://www.eastwood.com/dual-tank-blaster.html

It's about $1200-$1500 bucks to blast my car if somebody else does it. I figure if I bought this blaster I could also use it around the farm on cattle trailers that need repaired and painted, tractors, implements, old buildings that need cleaned up, etc. So it would get more use than just my Z.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit or similiar size units? Pros-Cons?

Thanks

A media blaster should, I would think, be something you could pick up close to home. I'd even check out your local Craigslist for used units for sale. Just saying, no need to ship one half way across the country when there are probably a half dozen for sale within 50 miles of you right now...... ;)

Hey Joey, I bought an 80 lb. blaster at Harbor Freight for around $100, they have two locations in SA. Look up Keller Materials in SA for the media, a fraction of the price you'd pay at most stores. When you start blasting try to do it on a surface that you can sweep up the media on. Screen it and use it again. I've been using fine silica sand, blasts through paint and rust with no problem. One thing I would like to have is a sandblasting helmet that connects to an air supply.

Larry

Beautiful South Texas day today. My 4 year old and I cruised around in the Z. I like that it doesn't have an airbag.

About to give it some gas and he knows it.

KennyCruising.jpg

Now we are talking real horsepower here.

KennyHorsepower.jpg

His job is to keep it out of the grass and mine is to stay on the gas. :):cool:LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Got the temperature gauge working tonight, dirty connection and replaced the broken speedometer cable so now I know how fast I'm going. Still need to get the clutch fixed up, just haven't had time to track one down.

Fuel gauge is inoperable because I broke the little clips that hook to the tank. They were pretty fragile. Car starts up every time though, I drive it around the farm every day. I gased it up but for some reason the gas doesn't flow nicely into the tank. It backs up as I pump. I have a feeling the hose that comes out from the back passenger side into the plastic tank in the hatch may be pinched bewteen the car and the tank. Just a guess. When I get a chance I will lower the tank a little and see.

The little tank is a vent tank to collect expanding gasses. Those extra hoses don't mater, actually if you haven't replaced them I'd block them off for now. The hose is nearly straight into the tank I can't see how it would back-up. Can you go into what you see when your pumping gas.

You can get a new sending unit from Courtesy Nissan for about $40, get a new O-ring too.

That fuel backing up isn't right. That is a straight shot of at least 2 1/2 inch diameter to the tank. Back in the day I would tell the V-8 crowd the large fuel inlet was racing inspired. IIRC these cars were field finds? Could someone have stuffed a rag in there when it was parked? The tanks are easy to drop, 2 J-bolts and plenty of hose clamps.

Bonzi Lon