IGNORED

Triple Weber 42 DCOE) Air Filter Choice Assistance

SuomiZ

Which is the most practical air filter for 42DCOE's on a 2.8L 240Z?

1. Individual K&N Filters (already have these so it's the easiest for me ... just need to get a heat shield)

2. Air horn socks / covers. These appear to be simple metal mesh filters. Honestly these look 'cool' and would really show off the air horns.

3. Single large air filter assembly with integrated heat shield (about $200 + cost of air filter ... likely $300 total).

4. Other exotic 'cold air boxes', carbon filter, etc. These seems to be more applicable to racing than something for the street.

I'm currently leaning towards the K&N, but that leaves me with a need for a decent heat shield over my ceramic coated headers. I saw a link for a JDM shield (stainless steel I believe) that was in the $150 range. Seems like something I could fabricate for far less.

Most practical is what you already have. But best choice is different. The best choice depends on your personal value set. What matters the most to you. Cost, performance, ease of use, availability, etc.

I would suggest what filters the air the most efficiently to keep your engine as happy as possible.

I have use separate single filters, an ITG single and now have a TWM fiberglass box with a K&N cold air set-up for my triple 44mm Mikunis.

The JDM SS heat shield is a very piece for the price and I'm likely to get one myself if it's not under the tree this Christmas.

I have the ITG large single filter if you like to buy it....

I had the single ITG on a triple Weber 240 I used to own (now Lazeum's car). It was big $$$ and was hard to get on and off for tuning, but from everything I read, it was supposed to be the best for performance. I think I paid close to $300 for it many years ago. I doubt I would buy that one again due to the cost and pain to R&R.

Hi Jeff! The ITG is still in my garage but it has always been a pain to install/remove and to work around with it. Moreover each time, we (me & Glenn before) have to remove it, it was sliding along the brake master cylinders. the foam is no more in good shape.

So I switch to 3 K&N filters. I haven't felt any difference by changing the filters and it is more practical. I think also it looks good.

post-15411-14150809158416_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Lazeum, are you or can you run air horns under those filters? I have similar setup and need filters in the next week or so. If I get the K&N filters, should I remove the air horns or put them on over top of horns? My headers are wrapped with header tape and I dont have a heat shield by the way.

Brian

Edited by pjoe