IGNORED

I snapped a few bolts..

JohnnyP

I'm currently working on a '76 280z (also my first car!) and as I was removing a two bolts holding a piece onto the intake manifold, the heads of the bolts snapped right off. There is still a portion of one of the bolts left sticking up, the other is a receded within the manifold.

So my question is:

How can I get these bolts out of there?

I know one way would be to drill the bolts out and tap the holes for new threads.. Might there possibly be another way?? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

-John

You will probably need to pull the entire manifold to see what you have to work with. Try soaking with a penetrant oil like Kroil or a thread awhile back suggested a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid evil stuff but supposed to work well. Patience is the key, soak it tap it soak it tap it give it a few days, usually works for me.

Good Luck,

H Houghton

Just remember that if you choose to drill out the bolts, follow the previous poster's advice and also buy some left-handed drill bits (Yes, they DO exist.) Since they work going counter clockwise, sometimes they will grab the bolt and pull it out for you. It has worked for me.

Quite honestly , it may be easier, MUCH easier, to simply replace the intake manifold. You can find them all day long on Ebay, Craigslist, and the classifieds here, on Zcar.com and Hybridz.org.

Do you have a welder? If not and you're doing resto work - save up for one! This is a case where you could weld a nut onto the stud (either of them) and then twist them out. The one that broke off low works very well with this method -not only do you get a nut head on there, the heat breaks it loose.

From here on in though, soak everything the day before on acetone and ATF. Just make up this mix and put it in a spray or oil can. Also, get an A-O or propane torch and get everything HOT before trying to remove. No more broken bolts!

I do have a propane torch, two actually - wonderful tools. But would the propane torch work for the welding of the two bolts you were talking about?

And I know I'm new to the world of restoration... What's a heli - coil?

Thanks for all the help!

-John

Thank you for the help

I do have a propane torch, two actually - wonderful tools. But would the propane torch work for the welding of the two bolts you were talking about?

No

And I know I'm new to the world of restoration... What's a heli - coil?

Did you try Google?

From Emhart Technologies:

Heli-Coil® inserts are precision formed screw thread coils of stainless steel wire having a diamond shaped cross section.

Johnnyp, Since you are new to this stuff. Diseazd has the best advise here. Take it to a Shop and have them remove the broken bolts and for that matter the rest of the ones holding the manifolds in place. Replace them with studs to avoid this problem in the future. Kroil and Anti seize is something that we all should be using when dealing with this stuff.

In trying to remove the broken pieces , especially with a ''ezy-out'' you are likely make things a whole lot worse. Worse case would be replacing the entire head. Drilling out parts like this is not a easy endeavor. The shop will likely just weld a bolt to the broken bit with a tig welder and back out the part. And no you cannot weld with a propane torch. Any torch will apply too much heat to the aluminum head. Mig or Tig is the way to go.

Gary