IGNORED

Would like your guys opinion

Pomorza

Hello

To make a long story really short. I purchased a "rust free" 1976 280z from a guy up in Phoenix about six weeks ago. I love the car but upon further inspection the day I bought it I found that it has a rust area under battery tray. I though I was looking at horrid rust but when I took the battery out I found nothing there. (minor surface rust that I sanded off).

So I would like your guys opinion on this rust situation. What is the best move on my part? I've been told I can clean it up and cover it with some fiber glass but that would be a temporary fix. I have a friend that knows how to weld fairly well but he no longer owns a welder.

Take a look a the pictured and let me know your opinion.

Jan

pictures

1. Rust area, passenger side

2. another view of said rust

3. Battery tray area.

post-19999-14150808348835_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150808349537_thumb.jpg

post-19999-14150808350138_thumb.jpg

And by paint it he means use to something like POR15. Of course, it's really hard for us to tell by pictures alone. You have to poke at it with something pointy to see how bad it is. We've all see far worse and the fact that you're in Arizona makes you in better shape than most concerning rust. If it's mostly below the battery that's more of an indication of acid leaking and eating paint than moisture-induced rust.

Jan,

Go over the area with a steel brush to remove any loose rust. Take a pocket knife and poke at all area's with surface rust to validate that the metal is still solid. If the knife does not puncture any of the rusted metal surface you should not need to weld in new metal. Go to an auto paint supply shop and buy a pint of POR-15. It is expensive, about $45.00 a pint but the stuff is worth every penny. It forms a permanent bond to any rusted metal (this is why it is important to remove any loose rust particles). Once it dries you will have a hard acrylic finish that can be painted and undercoated. I did this under my battery tray and the results were awesome. Follow the directions on the can carefully. You will not need much to treat the battery area. Do NOT pour back any unused paint back into the can. Once it is exposed to air it will contaminate the rest of the paint in the can. Seal the cover of the can with a sheet of saran wrap and store the can in a refrigerator. I was given these tips by my body shop who use this product all the time.

Do a search on this forum for POR-15 and you will find a lot of other guys that have used this product with great success.

Edited by mgmoreau

Thanks for the quick comeback. I went out and started poking at the rust with my finger. I picked off some of the loose rust and found that the metal underneath is soft, feels like a sponge or ball of yarn. Its hard to describe its not hard like metal should be. Any ideas on this one?

I have lifted the carpeting from the passenger side to check for rust there. The only significant area is where the wire harness goes through the fire wall. Its not bad but its there.

Thanks again

Jan

To do this properly you should remove the rusted metal. I assume by your description that the metal could be poked through with a screwdriver, or if heated with a torch would blow through. You should get rid of the rust but cutting it out and welding in new metal. I would see how much area is rusted out first. Once you start cutting it out you don't want any surprises!

I agree that applying por-15 or treating it is a good thing to do, but not after you said all the metal is soft and mushy. Thats rust. Cut it out, patch new metal in there, treat it, clean it, por-15 it, topcoat that, prep and paint, finish beer.

Edited by Zak's Z

Well there ya go. Time to start cutting out the metal and getting it replaced.

I thought it was worth mentioning that POR-15 is also available in 4 oz cans so it is not necessary to buy a whole whole pint for a small job like this. A 4 oz can will cover 6 sq ft. with two coats. I paid $8.95 for one at a local auto body and paint supply store. As an added benefit, I don't have to worry about the rest of my ~$30 pint hardening between uses. Quarts run ~$45.00.