IGNORED

1976 water temperature switch

saridout

• 4 weeks later...

I am so confused, i am trying to reconnect the thermal transmitter in my dad's old '77 280z so that the gauge in the dash works. He installed an aftermarket gauge and plugged into the transmitter's port and has the gauge attached to the hood. This is a picture of the transmitter that i was told i needed, it looks nothing like the one pictured above :(

post-20308-14150808696225_thumb.jpg

post-20308-14150808696402_thumb.jpg

Thermostat housing.doc

Edited by kjphilippona

• 6 months later...

Hey, whoever reads this post further I found the part you need. That's for a 75-76 water temperature switch. You can find the part "22120-N4202" at courtesyparts.com. These guys seem to have the hard to find parts for early Datsun/Nissan.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So..... a broken water temperature switch is one that is alwopen? And the only thing affected distributor timing/exhaust/wise would be during the initial cold start up of the car and once temp hits 134 degrees the only function of the switch is no longer used? so is it ok to assume the only negative affects of this switch being broken would be until the car gets to operating temp.? I'm sorry in advance if im just not getting it but there seem to be a lot of dispute over the actual side effects of using a broken water temp. switch.

This thread actually changed from the water temperature gauge sensor to the the water temperature switch at justfun13's post #28. The water temp switch is described in full at page EE-26 in the 1976 FSM.

Basically, if you disconnect it - circuit open - the car will run on its normal timing both when warmed up and cold. The switch is normally closed, to run off of the other, advanced 6 degrees, magnetic pickup coil (variable reluctor) when cold. I am guessing it's to increase the idle speed up a little while cold. Mine stopped working so I just disconnected it and set the timing where it should be when warm.

In theory, you could install a manual switch in place of the thermostat housing switch and run off either pickup coil.

The "switch" from using one pickup coil or the other actually happens in the ignition module.

Edited by Zed Head

• 1 year later...

The temp. switch is used only in 260Z with the automatic trans. Its function is to tell the TIU to retard the timing when the engine is cold. My temp switch's wire rotted off, and I was informed that since I lived in a mild climate I shouldn't worry about it.