IGNORED

920 Gold

JohnnyO

Finished a total restoration of my 5/70 build 240Z #3833 last year. The car is Datsun 920 "Safari Gold". After we finished stripping the car and revealed the paint in the previously covered areas, I was somewhat surprised to see that those areas were "brighter" than the exterior. Using the unexposed paint as a sample, we matched it with PPG urethane single stage, applied 5 coats, wet sanded and rubbed (a lot!). I think the results were outstanding (pic attached). I am positive if we had simply ordered the 920 gold without color matching, it would have been a darker tint than it was supposed to be. I also think that the chemistry of modern paint is so much more advanced than it was back in the late 60s/early 70s, that it will hold truer over time.

And as far as I can tell, 920 Safari Gold was only available on the 240Z from 10/69 mid 1971. It was also available on the 510 in that time frame.

FWIW

Why is the rear spoiler black?

Apologies for the delay. Haven't been here for a spell.

My Z is 920 with a bit of gold metal-flake tossed in to give it a bit more snap in sunlight. The paint brand is PPG, Deltron 2000 line. The now-faded label says "OEM 920 Nissan."

Hope this helps and is timely to some of you.

Frank

Frank, what kind of metal flake did you add, and how much?

Theramz, you're right about the primer color affecting the final color. When we did sample boards we used the same primer. I'll have to check with my painter, but I think it was light gray.

John, I'll get the dimensions for you. My nephew has the rotisserie down in SC now but I'll either call him or measure it when I'm there in a couple weeks. My car is moving along quickly now. I just took an early out from work so am "retired" and can dedicate more time to it. Just dropped the engine back in yesterday. I started tearing down my car over 4 years ago, but didn't touch it for over 2 years due to work schedule, etc. Just got back on it last November.

Terry

Hey, get that Fram filter off that beautiful engine. :cry:

Chris,

Nice Bridgestone, but I have a general comment about securing the spare tire in the tub.

Is it just me. It seems that, more often than not, when someone posts a picture of the spare tire, the hold down bracket appears to be installed upside down with the rubber protected edge of the hold down facing upward, instead of down and against the steel wheel for protection.

Interested in opinions if I have this all wrong.

Dan

You've sparked my curiosity now. I am betting the spare tire compartment of my 70Z has never been touched or opened. I'll check it tonite and post pictures.

Also, just a few quick thoughts on the 920 gold as mine is still the original paint. It looks great in the sunlight and under flourescent lighting, but not so pretty in shade or normal light. In the sunshine or flourescent it is a beautiful shade of orange. In shade or normal lighting it looks almost tan, like an army camouflage tan. Much prefer the sunshine.

Rich

Boy, I was a bit overly optimistic. Looks like Dad was in here way before me.

I thought the cover looked pretty funny, almost like a smiley face, but not smiling. I think that was on 180 degrees out as there was an arrow on it pointing aft and the flat on the forward end. Fits better with the flat towards the back and I am guessing the arrow should point forward (unless you drive in reverse most of the time).

I found an old Bridgestone tire in there. Looks like it may be one of the original 175/70/14s as it was a bit worn. I like the made in Japan emblem there. You can see the Hubcap scrapes on the rim and the location of the old tire weights.

Lots of padding hair in the bottom so I cleaned that out. The paint looks real nice as well. There was a bit of stray glue in the area but no rust. I cleaned up the tire a bit and re-assembled everything. That was fun.

Anyone know what that black plastic thing is?

Rich

post-19125-14150808804743_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808805681_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808806292_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808807081_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808807747_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150808808511_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7

Bad news, Rich. That is not the original tire. The originals on the early cars were Bridgestones, but they were 175SR14, not 175/70-14s. That is a much later size, and the SF-408 model (Super-Filler) confirms that. The early cars came with "Super Speed Radial 20".

I borrowed these pictures from an earlier thread.

attachment.php?attachmentid=11164&d=1140620018

attachment.php?attachmentid=11163&d=1140620018

AAhh, that's right. The 70 series should have clued me in. The glove compartment decal specifies the 175SR14. I'm thinking the 'S' is a 78 series tire.

I did notice the rim had the black front and the silver back. Now I am wondering which tire on the car has the original spare rim. Then again, I am sure there are much important things to consider.

Thanks for the input.

Rich

The 'S' is a speed rating, 113 MPH in this case. (The 'H' for the later tires is 130 MPH. The 'R' simply means Radial.) When the aspect ratio (the '70' in 175/70-14) isn't specified, 80% is implied. So a 175SR14 tire is equivalent to a 175/80-14.

Why is the rear spoiler black?

It's black because I liked the way it looked. As you know, the BRE type spoiler was not a Nissan part or option, however many 240Z owners added them. With my color scheme, I liked it in "rally black".