IGNORED

Mike's78z

Hi my name is Mike,

I'm an aspiring industrial design student hoping to get into the automotive design world. I'm currently looking for a college in California to get my passion on the road, so to speak. I've already started on a few concepts, but there nothing serious. I also do product design as well, got one design made into production.

My first encounter with a Z, was in the front yard of my girlfriend's house. Ever since then I've fallen in love with Z cars. I've been looking for a Z car of my own, but we'll see how that goes. I really like the 240, 260, and 280z models. The 280zx is nice, but i really don't care much for the design influence in the 80's. The cars were a little too squared and the cheap black plastic they used takes away from the design in my opinion.

Well, I look forward to meeting you all. This seems like the perfect place to get useful information and feedback about the Z. Someday, I hope to create a design worthy of the Datsun Z car name. I've got a few ideas already, but I'd really appreciate your input as well.

Ok...lofty aspirations, but nothing wrong with that...follow that dream...

Keep your eyes and ears open. Tons of Z's in your neck of the woods. Check out Zhome.com which provides an excellent buyer's guide to getting your first Z (it says it clearly, but just to reinforce it...avoid rust at all costs).

Welcome aboard.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, so far i've obtained a lot of useful information on this forum. I know my aspirations are far fetched, especially with the way the auto industry has been. That's why i'm looking at doing product design at SJSU. Perhaps i'll go back and try auto design once things are going a little better.

The things i like about the classic Z's are the dimensions, shapes, and how they reflect the time. The thing i hate about cars nowadays is that they're too bulky. Aerodynamics has taken precedence over character. I wish i could have a car with a body like that of a Z, but with a modern engine. It would be a symphony where design beauty meets technical innovation. I'll bet it'd sell like hot cakes!

If any of you are interested in automotive design, check out carbodydesign.com or cardesignnews.com

Welcome!

Is Dr Migurski still in the ID dept? I was in Industrial tech while he was department head and he taught the mini curriculum with the other engineering and tech professors. Good times except for those horribly tight pants he always wore :sick:

He may seem crazy but I learned a great deal from him. In all his joy of hearing himself talk, I learned a lot about rethinking your design and asking 'why not'.

Part of the problem is that most people are not performance minded, they are much more practical. I remember a conversation with a (real) person and he was talking trash about people that would 'blow' 30-35 grand on some 'boring' sedan when they could buy a used Corvette or something like his STi instead. I said simply, not everyone needs that in a car, and most people need something more useful than either of those. I'm not kidding myself that my Civic coupe is some performance car, but it does get great gas mileage, doesn't look half bad, and is a hoot to flog around

I do agree though, a gem of an engine combined with a light, sleek design, is a formula for success.

The other unfortunate byproduct of great design is cost and difficulty in manufacturing. Still, someone has to think outside the box and push the design envelope and thought process :beer: