IGNORED

Engine and tranny mount spacers

My '70 #3212, had a spacer between the right engine mount bracket and the engine mount when I disassemble it. The left side had none. There was also a rectangular spacer between the transmission mount and the cross-member. They can be seen in my attached pictures.

I thought maybe the left engine mount spacer was missing, so I went into the microfiche but don't see spacers shown for either the engine mount or transmission mount.

Can anyone give me some input on them? Were they from the factory and used for alignment when needed?

Thanks,

Terry

post-8351-14150807566196_thumb.jpg

post-8351-14150807566849_thumb.jpg

post-8351-14150807567377_thumb.jpg

Edited by TVollnogle

Hi Terry,

Yes, mine is exactly the same as yours on the engine mount (I have not moved the transmission so not familiar with that). I have one spacer on the passenger side and none on the drivers side. I will post pics a little later. You can see the outline of the spacer on the passenger side, no outline on the driver side. Also, the serial numbers of our cars are very close so perhaps they were done the same.

Rich

Currently I am refreshing the engine and it is on a stand, so you caught this at a good time.

Here are pics of the two mounts. On the passenger side, you can clearly see the spacer outline. There is no spacer on the driver side. Very interesting.

Why just one? Not sure? My guess on the purpose is that it was used to strengthen the mount that saw the most torque (compressive load) during acceleration, to prevent the tabs bending.

post-19125-14150807576982_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807577716_thumb.jpg

My guess on the purpose is that it was used to strengthen the mount that saw the most torque (compressive load) during acceleration, to prevent the tabs bending.

Interesting, I am now painting my motor mounts and noticed that the passenger side mount is longer than the driver side by over 1 inch. Lends validity to the larger torque theory.

If I knew that one bracket was longer, I had forgotten since I pulled and rebuilt the engine 4 years ago. I went out and looked at mine which I have temporarily bolted on the engine which is on the engine stand, and I had them switched. Guess I would have picked up on that at some point. The microfiche confirms different engine brackets for the left and right on 240's and 260's. It also shows the same engine mount (insulator) for all, so it there was a weakness in the early ones, and thus the plate, they apparently corrected it.

Mike and Rich - if you're crawling around under your cars sometime and happen to have an inspection mirror in your pocket, check to see if you have that spacer plate between the transmission mount (or "Insulator Engine Mounting Rear" as Nissan calls it) and the crossmember. It would be interesting to see if its on all of the early cars.

Guy - your '70 doesn't have the spacer on it? How about your '71?

Terry

Edited by TVollnogle