IGNORED

shifter bushings installation

Just thought I would update on my zeds progress. I decided to install the shifter bushings I had ordered almost a year ago. Well, what I learned is its FAR easier to do this from inside the car, than underneath. So for anybody who is looking to do this, its a piece of cake. I found out that I was missing some compression washers on top of my rubber bushings, and thats why my shifter was spinning. So I fabricated some and now my shifter not only feels more 'gated' but it no longer spins!!!!

To clarify, Stephen is referring to the bushings for the early style, Type A transmission, not the later Type B (which is a completely different process).

Actually, the easiest way to change the Type A bushings (IMO) is from underneath, but after the driveshaft is pulled. With the driveshaft out of the way, the job is very simple.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I forgot to mention that.

The only problem with going at it from the underside is shifter would spin when I turned the nut. And I had no way to grab the shifter hard enough to break the nut lose. From the inside, you can clamp down on the shifter.

I also had my exhaust routed deep inside my driveshaft tunnel, so it was a bit in the way as well. Removing the center console was childsplay for my particular application.

The only problem with going at it from the underside is shifter would spin when I turned the nut. And I had no way to grab the shifter hard enough to break the nut lose. From the inside, you can clamp down on the shifter.
There are flats in the shift lever just above the bushings for a 14mm wrench.

Just an update.. I had to replace my inner shift boot since mine was torn, now I am in the process of putting the thing back together. One questions though. ..Who thought it would be a good idea to sqeeze the fuse box through the tiny slit in the front of the console?

Geeze! I also have managed to drop a tiny black screw somewhere on my black floormats on my black carpet. What fun! On a happy note, my choke mechanisms appear to be brand spanking new! Shy cad plated and everything.

Just an update.. I had to replace my inner shift boot since mine was torn, now I am in the process of putting the thing back together. One questions though. ..Who thought it would be a good idea to sqeeze the fuse box through the tiny slit in the front of the console?

Sliding the fuse box through that small console opening can cause a few exciting sparks if the battery is still connected - don't ask me how I know :stupid:

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided my first project is going to be a restoration of the center console, including installing a working radio.

While I'm in there I'd like to spruce up the transmission feel. The shifter feels loose and rattly.

Where can I get these bushings? Is this the part for my '78 280Z or is there a more complete kit? http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SDC02A/20-1130

Thanks for any info!

Those are the two that go on the side. To be 'complete' I guess you'd also need the one that goes on the bottom of the shifter altough those ususally hold up fairly well. They're all available through the Nissan dealer. At least they were last time I checked. You need two side bushings (32855-H1010) and the one for the bottom of the lever (32861-N4200). They cost roughly $2.50-3.50 ea. depending on the dealer.