IGNORED

1970 Z Refresh...biting the bullet

motorman7

Rich, I bow down to you Sir. That is some Beautiful work you've done. My 70 will Never look like that again but I can only hope that the 260Z is even a shadow of what your Z represents to the Z community. That is a Gorgeous Z.

Dave.

PS. You can can keep track of my very slow progress on Cardomain. Link is below.

I just read through this entire thread, and I must say, I'm very impressed. It's nice to see a car like this at a show where every minute detail has recieved appropriate attention. Congratulations to you, sir, you should be very proud of your work! ;)

........ and the rims look great too.

Took it out on Harmony Grove Road with the new rims (6 miles of twists, turns and hills with no stop signs) and it handles great, much better than the stock tires. Also, no worries of hubcaps falling off so it was perfect.

Finally got the radiator decals on. Checked my old pics to make sure I put them on right. I think in the refresh here, the radiator is the one part that is least original. I had it re-cored with a Modine 3 row core (versus the original 2 row core). When driving over Grants Pass and the Grapevine, the temp got a bit hot and never went down. Dad put an overflow recovery bottle in, but it never really worked. The temp gage would go to about 3/4 near the tops of the mountains and never go back down. I had to stop and refill the system at the bottom of the mountains. Hopefully the 3 core will solve the issue. I also tossed Dad's overflow recovery bottle, it was getting old (although I must say, it was very 'original').

I was able to clean up the air cleaner and fan blades pretty well. They are still the original 39 year old paint. They look pretty good, so no paint is needed.

I attached one more pic of the car, under the flourescents with the new Panasports. I love the color of the Panasports. It is very close to the original hubcap center color so I thought it would be appropriate.

I need to clean up the battery cables. I am guessing that these are not original. Does anyone know where some "original" or like original can be found? Still need to clean up some of the connectors. I bought some of the 4mm terminals, but they were too big. I am guessing the 3mm's are the one that fit the coil resistor. Also need to clean some of the old multiwire connectors.

I thought about Zedyones comment about being an artist. Actually, I just have a beautiful subject and am pretty good at cleaning things up.

Thanks for all the support.

Rich

post-19125-14150807852197_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807852981_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807853584_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807854178_thumb.jpg

Rich, I think you'll find that if you remove the yellow sticker from the new radiator cap, underneath you'll find that it has stamped lettering that is very similar in looks to the original. It will say "REMOVE SLOWLY" on one side, and either "TIGHTEN" or some Japanese characters on the other.

See this thread for some examples:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33600

I saw Diseazd's pics and was quite jealous so I had to take a photo op of my own. It's solo, but that's ok for now.

Also, cleaned up the original radiator cap and put it back on. Seems to work OK, but will keep the new one in the glove box just in case. Thanks Arne!

Added a link to the song that runs through my head when I work in my car. It's era appropriate :) .

post-19125-14150807854771_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807855368_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807855961_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807856542_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807857132_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807857727_thumb.jpg