IGNORED

Hood keeps popping open

KDMatt

When I put my car back together this spring I was in a rush to see if my rough alignment settings would be good enough to let me drive the car (on the highway) to the shop. It had been raining for several days and when a small window of opportunity arose with no rain and no major traffic to worry about, I took it out. Of course I hadn't gotten around to attaching the latch yet. Under 40mph, no issue, over 40, oh baby.

The so-called cowl induction hoods on Zs are no different. They blow air out and don't as named - suck air into the engine bay at the intersection of the cowl and hood. I ran tests on our race car doing 110 down the straight at NHMS to verify this.

It sounds like Matt should take the hood latch off the car and go over it with naval jelly and a tiny wire brush. If the hood safety catch isn't working right, then who knows what else is stuck or stuck open to allow the hood to pop open like it is.

I have also been replating all the zinc stuff with Eastwood's zinc plating system.