IGNORED

Spark Plug troubles

Hello,

I took out my spark plugs last night to check them since I am looking to fire up my Z for the first time in 5 years or so. Here was my dilemma that popped up though.

I was putting spark plugs back in and all had been going fine, until of course, the last one I was putting in: #6. So I noticed I had put it in only a few threads and it seemed tight. I looked at the plug and it looked like it was a little off center. I took it out and tried to put it in again. It did the exact same thing. I looked at the chamber and it looks a little messed up. If something happened to the threads, since this happened with two other plugs as well, what are my options to fix this?

Any ideas?

Thanks

SuDZ

Sounds like from you description that you cross threaded the plug. Take the car to a shop and have them install a Helicoil. This is the fix. They will tap the hole out to a larger size , then install the Helicoil which is made of spring steel and back to the origional size. They will be stronger than original. It is a common thing . Any good Mechanic can do this job. I recommend using anti seize on spark plugs to protect the threads especially if you remove a plug when the engine is at driving temp.

From now on ALWAYS install plugs only with your fingers and turm them in at least 3 turns . This way you will know they are in correctly. With the heads made of aluminum it is easy to over tighten them this damages the threads and makes it easier to cross thread them.Gary :bulb:

Very important note::::: Before continuing with any tap in the spark plug hole, make sure you coat the tap with heavy grease before tapping the spark plug hole,

this will catch 99% of the metal particals from entering the cylinder. We can't have that!

Johnny...

Very important note::::: Before continuing with any tap in the spark plug hole, make sure you coat the tap with heavy grease before tapping the spark plug hole,

this will catch 99% of the metal particals from entering the cylinder. We can't have that!

Johnny...

These tools are magnetic.

all debris and filings will stick to the JEGS Back-Tap, coming up and out instead of falling into the chamber

Like I said, however, I've never had to use mine and would probably use the heavy grease also just as an added precaution.

Edited by sblake01

Proper precaution when installing the plugs is even more essential. Like I said, I've never had to use the tool. Since the original poster crossthreaded three plugs (if I read it right) this is probably a moot point anyway.

Edited by sblake01