IGNORED

Konig Opal 17 x 7 wheel tire size recomendations

palmettoz

Hello all-

I just recently purchased as set of 17 x7 Konigs for my S30 Z and would like input on tire size. I would like to put a set of 245/50's on them but not sure if this would clear the stock struts with Tokico springs and shocks, as well as the body itself. Any input would be appreciated.

Scott Holcombe

245/50-17's are too wide to work optimally on a 7" wide wheel and are considerably taller than the stock tires. So rubbing might be a problem, especially if the car is lowered.

I'd recommend no wider than 225 for those narrow wheels, so a 225/45-17 would be a good choice.

I agree with Arnie. The 225/45-17 tires are about the widest tires that you can install on a S30 without suspension modifications, and the 45 profile in a 17 inch wheel will keep the speedometer in the correct range.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input guys. I was wanting to go slightly taller on the tire profile since I think that my speedometer reading slightly high to begin with ( although I have not cross checked it yet to verify that).

The transmission or diff might have been switched out prior to my owning it. Also it sits really low and wish it were an inch or so higher.

Thanks for the input guys. I was wanting to go slightly taller on the tire profile since I think that my speedometer reading slightly high to begin with ( although I have not cross checked it yet to verify that).

The transmission or diff might have been switched out prior to my owning it. Also it sits really low and wish it were an inch or so higher.

The speedometer in every Z car I've owned has read high. Ignore the speedo and check the odometer over a long highway trip. Watch the roadside mile markers and see how they compare over as many miles as possible. My speedo reads about 5-10mph high on the highway and yet my odo is exactly correct. Last year I checked it on the drive to the Cleveland Z convention. Over close to 100 miles on the Ohio Turnpike, my odo was withing 1/10th of a mile.

I have 225/50R16 tires on 7" rims on my 78 and they rub. Diameter should not be larger than stock or you will have trouble with 225 or wider tires.

Hey Jeff-

Where are your tires rubbing? On the struts or the body? Also do you know what your offset is on your wheels? Thanks-

The speedometer in every Z car I've owned has read high. Ignore the speedo and check the odometer over a long highway trip. Watch the roadside mile markers and see how they compare over as many miles as possible. My speedo reads about 5-10mph high on the highway and yet my odo is exactly correct. Last year I checked it on the drive to the Cleveland Z convention. Over close to 100 miles on the Ohio Turnpike, my odo was withing 1/10th of a mile.

I have 225/50R16 tires on 7" rims on my 78 and they rub. Diameter should not be larger than stock or you will have trouble with 225 or wider tires.

Better to figure out how far off it reads, and then change the speedo gear to correct it. Taller tires will change too many other things in addition to the speedo calibration (handling, steering response, gearing, etc.)
Again, trying to adjust the ride height with tires is the wrong way to go about it. If you want the car to sit taller, go back to stock springs. Tall tires with short springs is a sure-fire recipe for tire rubbing.

I am running zero offset wheels and the 225/50R16 tires rub on the rear wheel lips and the front valence when turning and backing up. I have been told that a +6mm offset keeps this tire size from rubbing. I have rolled my rear fender lips, but I need to notch the sheet metal flange and roll them more. My car is lowered with Tokico springs and Tokico Illumina struts.

Thanks again guys for the input. I just bought the Konigs from MSA and they are advertising this wheel to be the correct offset without spacers in a 17x7" wide wheel. I will probably be getting some Bridgestone Potenza RE 760 sport tires in a 225/45 size. Tire rack has them for 135.00 each, and the feedback rating seems good. I am looking for a high performance summer tire and for the money these seem OK. I just wish I could try them out before purchasing them.

• 2 years later...