IGNORED

New Member 1973 240Z

Hello everyone:

I've been on this board for about a year. I figured it was time to say Hi and finally post some pics of my Z. I purchased her last year from the daughter of the original owner. I took a chance and bought a 1-way ticket to Chicago to look at it. Bought it and drove it back to Penfield, NY (just outside of Rochester). The PO did not really replace all that much on the car. I found that out when I got to about Indiana and one of the 20+ year old tires decided to disintegrate. Luckily, I was within towing distance of a BJs (hence the cheapo tires you see in the pictures). Also, luckily I was only going about 50MPH!

I have not done much to it since I purchased it. Just cleaned her up a bit, tuned the carbs, and general tune up stuff. New floorboards are in order but beyond that, I have only found some surface rust. I'm not kidding myself here, I know that when I start my refresh someday I'll find many more surprises. Check out the gallery!:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/member.php?u=17425

Welcome to the board. Looks like a pretty nice find and the undercarriage doesn't look too bad, especially for a car that probably spent most of it's life in a state that I believe still salts its roads. Hopefully the PO didn't just paint over rust. If so, it will eventually rear its ugly head.

I haven't seen any pictures since this is the 3rd post. But welcome to the club, good to have you with us. Looking forward to seeing what you are doing on/with your ''new Z''.

Any Help we can be just ask.

Gary

Enigma:

It's mostly surface rust on the undercarriage. The only issue is the floorboards where the firewall meets the floorboards. It looks like the heater leaked at one point and there are a couple of places that have rusted thu. Actually, the car only spent a year in Chicago, It was purchased and spent it's life in Buffalo, NY!!! Even worse for salt. It is surprisingly rust free for an upstate NY car.

beandip:

Thanks for the welcome. My plan is to keep the car as original as possible. The daughter of the original owner gave me all receipts from the date of purchase up to the year I purchased the car. I even have the original plastic warranty card and bill of sale. Aside from the normal replacements parts the only major non-original items are the round top carbs that the owner had the dealer put on just after he bought the car and the radiator that was replaced in the early 90's

2 Fast 2 Z:

As you can see from my Honda in the background I'm partial to silver cars. You can't go wrong with silver and black! How much did I pay for it? well....if you ask my wife then, too much. I paid $5000 for the car and another $400 to get it home (new set of tires in Indiana) I'm sure I paid way to much for this car but, I looked long and hard for a good specimen here in the NorthEast and they are just very hard to find in good condition (there are NO rust-free un-restored Zs in this part of the country). I'm sure I'll have many more $$ into it when I'm done refreshing it.

For an East Coast buy, it seems like you got a pretty good deal for the money based on the stated condition. If you're planing on keeping and enjoying it and not turning it around to make some money, all that matters is what you think anyway.