IGNORED

Dashboard Preservation?

motorman7

Any recommendations on preserving the dashboards of older Z's? I have recently acquired a 1970 240Z with original dash and no cracks (VIN: HLS30-02614). One part of me wants to put armor-all on it to make it look shiney new. The other side just says wipe it down with water. I am new to this, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich

Edited by motorman7

I've actually been wondering the same thing and have seen some conversation on this before, but can't tell which comments are factual and which are just wivestales or rumors so I'm afraid to do anything. Water sounds like the safest way to go until I hear scientific proof that it's actually possible to restore the natural oils, moisture or whatever to the dash.

Yep, read that. Again no scientific proofs aside from the obvious fact that UV light is harmful to the dash. I think everyone knows that by now. What I'd like to see is a breakdown of the active ingredients used in popular dash care or other products that could be beneficial for dash protection and/or re-conditioning. I realize that some of this information is proprietary and not likely to be revealed by companys releasing products into a very competitive marketplace, but some do reveal a certain amount of what makes their products good, or better than the competition.

There must be people out there (chemists) familiar with the specific attributes of some of these active ingredients used, and how they would relate or interact with plastics, which I believe are based on or comprised of petroleum related products as well. But now we're getting way out mf my confort zone so someone please edumacate me if I'm wrong. :)

Based on what little I know, assuming that using a moisture rich petroleum product (Vaseline) on a petroleum based solid (dash) in need of moisture actually seems to make a lot of sense. However, it would be nice to modify the moisturizer (Vaseline) with some form of plastic safe UV protectant. When you start thinking like that, why not just use one of the many products out there that include UV protectant? The question like always is which product to choose and which one won't hurt my dash?........Back to square one. :disappoin

Edited by =Enigma=

If it helps with diaper rash it will help keep your dash soft.

Vasoline is too messy so I have been using baby oil to keep my 38 yr old dash crack-free.

Wipe on, wipe off excess, re-apply to areas that dry out, wipe off excess.

Just this week I spoke with Pete at Dashboard Restorations, USA regarding this exact topic. They are in the process of testing a new product which may help renew the luster of the dash without encouraging more cracking. He did discourage the use of Armor All due to the silicone in it. According to Pete, the best available product at this time seems to be leather reconditioner. I encourage you to call him direct - 360-892-4075 / www.dashboardrestorations.com

1. Several Original Owners including myself have used nothing but Armor-All on our dash for the past 36 to 40 years. Our dashes are still crack free and we are still using Armor-All.

Might not be "scientific" enough for some - but it certainly represents a very long term experiment, with observable and positive results.

There are better protectant products for use on tires today..

2. What you use on an old dash - the previous care and maintenance of which is unknown - will most likely be a shot in the dark. If there are areas that are turning gray and feel stiff, you are most likely looking at vinyl with U.V. damage. I'd coat that dash with Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and let it soak in for a couple of days - then wipe it dry with a soft towel.

Far more important than what you use - is how you care for it going forward. Keep it out of direct sun, and avoid subjecting it to broad thermal cycles. If possible, you want to avoid shock and vibration. Don't put stress on the dash by installing larger radio's, or taking the dash out and bolting it back in.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for all the input. The vaseline, baby oil (I like the smell) and the leather conditioner sounds interesting. I have some of the leather conditioner at home, so will read the ingredients and decide from there.

Best Regard,

Rich

Edited by motorman7
more info recieved

Having just removed my dash and repaired a crack, I don't understand why they don't all crack. These dashes consist of a steel frame, with a foam cover, which is then covered by vinyl. The problem is the frame doesn't support all the foam. Lots of it is unsupported, especially over the guages. The foam is irregular shaped, and of irregular thickness, too. All of this irregularity has got to result in uneven expanding/shrinking during heat and cold cycles. I don't think it matters what you put on the vinyl, as that won't affect the underlying foam, which is where the cracks start. We've all heard stories of people who put caps on their cracked dash, only to have the cap crack. Its because the foundation (frame and foam) isn't stable.

If your dash hasn't cracked yet, its probably not going to crack. You got one that was put together just right, and/or protected from too many hot/cold cycles. Go ahead and put whatever you want on it, and keep it out of sunlight.

I bought a 92 Ford Ranger once. Those dashes often crack. I used STP Son of a Gun, which is not available anymore. My dash stayed amazingly like new for 15 years. The real reason was probably because I was lucky enough have a garage at home and at work. That truck never saw much sunlight. Even its red paint stayed bright. I now use sunshades when parking outdoors, which I do more now that I don't have a garage at work.

Thankfully my dash appears to be in like new condition. No signs of cracking, drying, etc. The car has 78,000 miles and was always garaged except for the two years I had it stored in a car port with a cover on it. I now have a garage, a sun shade, dash cover, and a car cover, so I'm hoping it will stay that way. The temp swings are usually pretty mild here in Cali along the central coast with the largest swings averaging from 34-62 degrees in the winter, to 50-78 in the summer. San Diego being a few hundred miles south of Santa Cruz obviously has averages a little higher depending on how close you are to the coast.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but I thought I'd explore the available options to re-condition or preserve the dash anyway. What concerns me most is rumors or claims that changing treatments, or starting treatments on a previously untreated dash can cause it to crack. I'd rather do nothing if those rumors have any validity since I don't know what if anything was ever used on the dash. I'm tempted to try the vaseline as that seems pretty benign based on everything I've read to date. I don't mind the smell of baby oil but I'm not sure I want to smell it in my car all the time. LOL If it had the scent of coconut oil that wouldn't be bad though. That said, I can't help feeling that any kind of petroleum based product would actually increase the level of heat the dash absorbs when it is in the sun. Any one care to toss in their opinions on that?

Edited by =Enigma=