IGNORED

Price per Pound Contest

gnosez

well i ve been thinking of this for a bit and it has to be something harder to install than oem headlight covers. after all it took him 4yrs to finally put it on. to me, that suggest that its a hard item to install or its a VERY easy to steal part. which than brings you back to the headlight covers. sooo..... what comes in 4 pieces, not easy to install or easily stolen, but will help a little bit in speed and a dealer item.

my guess would be some rims, but i cant think of any rims that would be worth 300 than go up 300%. headlight covers seem to fall into place better.

you know i forgot about the less than 2lb thing. so rims are def. out. was there a such thing as factory short shifter and knob combo?

Edited by overdrivex

How much do D hubcaps weigh? (2lbs per sounds about right). The appreciation/cost parameters are in the ballpark...

If they weigh less than subsequent caps, you would be reducing your unsprung weight which would improve performance (however marginally)...

Fact that they aren't already installed could just be a preservation choice...

Sorry for the delay but I had to fly down and get my in-laws car and drive it home today.

As some of you have already guessed or surmised the answer was provided by the second person who posted on this thread - Mr. Camouflage.

After worrying for 4 years that as soon as a mounted them and drove a few miles they would be hit by a rock, I found I could (at great expense) buy replacement lenses, so the OEM gnose style head light covers got put on.

The other concern was that since my nose is an aftermarket piece and wasn't as well made as one would want, the alignment/mounting was a bit tricky. I was also thinking that I had to remove the gnose to install them so that made me wait as well. Of course I didn't have to at all.

Add in the fact that once I started drilling the holes for the mounting plates I was totally committed.

I would attach pictures but the lenses are so clean and clear right now that all you see is the metal rings.

Now I need to find clear plastic film to cover the lenses. I have the stuff they sell with it already cut-out in the pattern for your specific car, but it is too thick to match the contours of the gnose covers.

My "hope this brightens up your day" was a Freudian slip on my part.

I thank everyone for their contributions and hope you've enjoyed this post.

I asked my wife, an unbiased source, what would make a nice prize and this is what she said - "give the winner one hour of your time to converse on all matters inane and minuscule as they relate to Z cars, then give the runner up two hours of your time".

You certainly outfoxed me by talking about four parts in a pair of headlamp covers. In my mind, that's either two or....er.....lots ( if you count the foam rubber seals, the mounting plates and all those little screws....... ).

All covered by two Nissan part numbers, in two boxes. Tricksy question!

On the 'Price per Pound' question for hard stock parts ( as opposed to repro stickers or one-off sales of rare plastic doo-dads ) I was going to nominate the painful personal experience of an S20 water pump assembly, at 170,000 JPY retail ( ouch ). Made all the more painful by the total of around 22% taxes and import duties levied on the cost of the part and the cost of the postage ( double ouch ).

I'm thinking a week...

Still, gets you out of the house, and from under her feetROFL!

Great point Alan, fooled me too-even though I was too late to participate.

It is crazy the way VAT works for those of you in the other side of the pond (with more frequent exposure to real fairladys-not the Hurley type;)), and that us Yanks don't have consistantly enforced taxes between the states...and we have so many duty rules and guidelines for imported parts that in most cases duties can be avoided(I ordered the last of some Ferrari taillights from EpocaCar several years ago, and in talking to a US Customs agent, he found a duty free classification for them)

Will

When I think of price-per-pound, I think of my racing bike, which weighs a mere 20 Lbs., and cost $2500 new, not including all the stuff I've replaced over the years. It's another $1500 in stuff I've added since new. That's $125/Lb. new and $200 per Lb. currently. IMO, when you get to the $100/Lb. mark, you have a serious machine.... probably. At least mine is.