IGNORED

Rough idle in a 76 280z automatic

saridout

where is the connector? do i have to remove the air flow meter to get to it?

It’s located in the thermostat housing. Here is a picture to help you out.... If you wiggle the connection while she is running then she dies you have got a bad connection. New connector costs about 9 bucks. Easy fix, I hope that’s your problem.

post-16658-14150806337734_thumb.jpg

No, it's on the front of the water outlet below where the radiator hose connects to the engine. It's the smaller of the two sensors, the larger one being the thermotime switch. Clean both connectors and be careful not to mix them up when you re attach them. It's a good idea to clean all of the EFI connectors as that's often the cause of problems. Careful with then because they're old and brittle. They can easily be replaced if necessary.

EDIT: Tim beat me to it hence the redundant answer. That looks like my scan from another post. You may or may not have the water temp switch (on the side)

Edited by sblake01

unfortunately, i don't have a garage, but my dad is building a house about an hour from here that has a garage that will house 6 cars (he has a triumph spitfire and a 67 beetle; it must be hereditary), and he says i can store her there when i'm prepping her for paint. he also says that he thinks the original bumpers are hideous, but i rather like them and think i'll keep em just the way they are.

I like 280Z bumpers on 280Zs, 240Z bumpers on 240Zs, 260Z bumpers.......well, you get the picture. If I wanted a 240Z I'd get a 240Z rather than trying to make a 280Z look like a 240Z. What's the point. Like they say, 'it is what it is'. But, there are many who would disagree with me on that.

There is a metal wire clip in the connector. Just remove that and she will slide right off.
We've done threads on converting those to the BMW/Volvo type quick release connectors. You just press the clip down and pull off the connector. Something to consider if you should break one while removing it.

34fjokn.jpg

1pdtug.jpg

Edited by sblake01