IGNORED

Rough idle in a 76 280z automatic

saridout

The car starts up pretty well, though every once in a while it'll immediately die, and takes some coaxing with the accelerator to get it to stay running. When idling, at first rpms will hover around 800-850, then slowly drift down. The car starts running rough, rumbling, until it gets down below 700 rpms and dies. Also, when coming to a stop and idle after swift acceleration, the car stinks of exhaust fumes and gasoline. Is this a fuel injector problem? I was going to replace my fuel filter; would that be a waste before i know what's causing the problem?

---------------------

1976 280z Automatic

i just got it last month, and only got it inspected last week. it's been doing this since i got it. i should probably also mention that the longer the car runs, the less it tries to die. it smells fumey pretty constantly though.

Could be many things. Had it been sitting undriven for a long period? Could be a fuel restriction caused by sediment in the gas tank, could be a bad temp. sensor, leaky injectors, bad fuel filter, it's really had to say without more information

if it was driven, it was driven very little. i believe it was not garaged, either. i'd ask the guy i bought it from more question, but he kind of cut and run and is incommunicado. what do you need to know? i'll see if i can answer.

I bought a 76 280z last year with this same kind of problem. I changed the Temp sensor and switch like suggested but the problem was a blown head gasket. Is the passenger side of the engine block lightly damp with oil between the 6th and 4th cylinder? Was in my case.

I have heard it said that about 90% of what people think are EFI problems on LJet are actually electrical or vacuum. These engines with their LJet intact are terribly vacuum sensitive. Just try putting a high performance cam in one and you will see. It will barely run.

Check your fuel pressure

Clean all your electrical connections

Check all vacuum lines including the rubber accordian tube from the front of the car to the air flow meter and from the air flow meter to the engine.. especially that second one.

A fuel pressure reading when it's running right and what happens to the fuel pressure when it starts to idle rough/die would give me a direction.

i can't find my gauge anywhere, so i'll have to go buy one, and then i'll let you know what the results are.

My 78 had the same problem.. check the connector at the temp sensor.. mine was coroded with gunk.... i cleaned connector and never had the problem since....hope this helps....

where is the connector? do i have to remove the air flow meter to get to it?