IGNORED

Adhesive Removal

Chart505

Getting prepped for paint, I have glass out, WS removed etc. Left bits and pieces in the channels plus there is a black goo around the back glass and windsheild. Also, the car had the aftermarket rub strips down the sides. I pulled those off carefully but lots of grey sticky stuff left on the paint. Does anyone know of a good solvent or tool that will make this job easier? I have tried lacquer thinner, etc but the stuff is pretty tough.

Becareful with the WD-40, it won't harm the paint of anything like that, but when I used it to remove some adhesive residue in the bed of my truck to prep it up for a Line-X spray in liner. The WD-40 worked great at removing the adhesive no problems.

When I brought the truck in to have the liner sprayed in... the guy who did the work told me how tough of a time he had in getting the bed clean where I applied the WD-40 to remove the old adhesive.. he tried all types of solvents to remove the residue, but he still couldn't get it cleaned, so he ended up sanding the paint down in those areas so the spray liner would adhere to the paint surface.

Since your repainting the car this may, or may not be a problem, but just be aware. The last thing you want is to have a nice finish on it, only to have the paint in areas where you used the WD-40 start flaking off or something like that.

Edited by peng155