IGNORED

New Front 1971 240 Z Bumper

Diseazd

In theory, the 260Z bumper is/was heaver, reinforced, and I believe thicker top to bottom. I don't think '70-72 bumper guards will fit a 260Z bumper bar. In addition, the license plate mounts were relocated, I believe.

Also note that the '73 240Z and the 260Z have different bumper bracket mounts than the '72 and earlier bumpers, as well as a slightly different curved shape to work with the rubber packing pieces that go between the bumper and the fenders on each side. The bumper brackets are also larger, have a completely different mounting for the bumper, and stick out farther to accomodate the rubber packing and spacer piece.

For example, I cannot just take my very nice '73 240Z bumper, and put it on some earlier bumper brackets to bring it in closer and have it look like a '72 or earlier 240Z - unfortunately they are "apples and oranges". (the overriders are also in different spots (closer together) on the '73 versus the 72 and earlier).

I am in the process of coverting my car to the earlier '72 bumper look right now. Got all the parts, except I need some '72 overriders as the '73 overriders are bigger and the hood will hit them if I put them on the earlier bumper (not to mention I'd have to cut the rubber strip on the bumper) :)

Edited by DougN

Thanks Doug......wonder why the early bumpers (70-72) that BlackDragon sells are so much more expensive....like $499.00 vs $150.00? Has anyone ever purchased the early bumper from BlackDragon, and if so, are they OEM ? If not, are they a good copy? Guy

Thanks Doug......wonder why the early bumpers (70-72) that BlackDragon sells are so much more expensive....like $499.00 vs $150.00? Has anyone ever purchased the early bumper from BlackDragon, and if so, are they OEM ? If not, are they a good copy? Guy

I would be happy to buy a new 70-72 new bumper at 499$ given the cost of rechroming in my area. Was unable to locate any new one in the BlackDragon catalog :

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/icatalog/z/full.aspx?page=24

Any pointer ?

"Also note that the '73 240Z and the 260Z have different bumper bracket mounts than the '72 and earlier bumpers, as well as a slightly different curved shape to work with the rubber packing pieces that go between the bumper and the fenders on each side. "

Anyone have good side by side pictures of the differences?

My parts car has a front bumper that was rechromed and looks great except that it was bumped and sprung so it looks like the one in the first picture.