IGNORED

Original Muffler Question

moonpup

It wasn't until the transition from the '74 model to the '74.5 model that the tail pipe finisher was discontinued and the exhaust tube was plated instead and also had the diameter reduced to avoid interference with the bumper. My scanner is out of order so I can't post the Nissan documentation, but thats the gist of it.

I don't have a parts catalog past 1973, but I'm wondering if the earlier mufflers were NLA and the tail pipe finishers were then made available to be sold seperately for those replacing their early mufflers and wanting to retain the proper look?

PS-I'll look it up in the microfiche.

In the microfiche... Part # 20105-E4100 Finisher-Exhaust Tail Tube from Sept '74 was available seperately.

So, also other than the color being or not being an issue, a real "picky" or should I say discerning Judge can measure the diameter of the tail tube? :)

Edited by geezer

Dan,

Personally, I would question that if a Nissan replacement part was allowed in any circumstance, what would define stock? And if we have two cars identically prepared but one has the correct part and the other has a replacement, how would that be judged fairly? Or a restored car vs. a survivor? You see, there is no easy answer. The whole thing is subjective and it appears there is wisdom in the ZCCA approach to emphasized cleanliness. The windshield example was not an S30 and the glass for that particular car is available but the question remains valid. What are we going to do as parts become unobtanium? I can't see getting dinged for a quality reproduction. A good reproduction shouldn't be noticable. I'll also add that the ZCCA judging guidelines are about to change and I hope and intend that this matter will be clearer in the future.

Chris

Hi ,

moonpup, Dan answered , yes it was available separately.

Here is a good example, sold in Yahoo Japan "1973 240Z exaust system"

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b92195513

You can see this original style finisher, and Dan mentioned the front pipe, this auction's pipe is later than my 1970 240Z i.e. the junction two into one is different from my 240Z.This picture's one , the single pipe is just attached the another pipe.

We can see when details has changed can not we?

My muffler has just cheap paint.I bought a can spray at a car shop,so I paint but it gets rust,then paint again.I have been repeating this!

Believe or not,my Z432 is sitting outside everyday with a motorsport auto car-cover.Z432's muffler already gets some rust. And dirty:ermm:

Here is just my thoughts about a gold medallion, it is getting harder and harder to get it because we find a new everyday and we have been learning more and more than used to.Looking back 10 years ago, we did not have to so picky like today did we? Of cource cleaness is the most important, it has not changed at all from the biggining.I am talking about "is this part exactly correct for this car " things.

Not easy to say, Chris:classic: if two cars are competing with same points,then judges going to look into details, like "is this metal emblem?"

" what is under the carpet?" e.t.c.

kats

PS; My 240Z's muffler is not exactly the early one. It is a combination of a later "short finsher muffler" and a early long finisher.

Took away the short finisher then welded a pice of exaust pipe of the muffler approx. one inch long to extend the pipe to be much the long finisher. You can not tell the difference unless you look under the muffler it says 20100-N3300:D

post-3193-14150805127251_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats
add words

moonpup,

Now, to your question. I believe that Zulaytr's orange 1972 car won the gold medallion award a couple of years ago at the nationals. His NOS exhaust system is black as can be seen in one or two pictures in his gallery but I don't know if he lost any points for being painted black.

Dan

I was out of town for a few days and missed this posting but I thought I would comment on Dan's question about any points deductions. When my car was judged, for GM, it was done by the same judge each time. The exhaust system was brand new with the black protective paint on it as described earlier in the posting. I did not receive any points off for it. It was my understanding of the rules, which is basically what Chris commented on, that since it was off the shelve genuine Nissan parts the coating would not create a deduction. This ruling is also similar to the AACA judging standards. However, in the first attempt for a GM, I did loose a point because the exhaust manifold had been painted. Even though the paint was a cast iron color that same judge felt that since it did not come that way (either as production car part or replacement part) a deduction was justified. As long as the same judge always judges that category you can have consistency. But if a judge change occurs this interpretation may change as well. That is why it would be most helpful to all if the ZCCA would issue a more detailed judging standard.

I hope this helps in the discussion but if anyone has any questions about my experiences in obtaining a GM just drop me a line.

• 9 months later...