IGNORED

Rear Spoiler

Diseazd

Yes.... The parts business of BRE became Interpart... and the guys that bought the BRE Parts business added other lines of performance equipment and accessories to expand the profit center. So for a time the BRE Parts business and Interpart were one and the same really.

To my knowledge BRE never sold the Nissan Part, nor did they reproduce an exact copy. The BRE rear spoiler was built differently, and had a fully enclosed bottom. The only original Nissan spoilers I've seen pictures of - were open (not fully enclosed) on the bottom. I was looking for a picture of mine... but it looks like I'll have to take one on the car... The original BRE Spoiler Mounting instructions don't have any pictures either.

The BRE Spoiler came with a foam rubber seal - that was supposed to go under the spoiler - I didn't put it on mine. I didn't want it holding moisture on the car - better to let the water run off. It also came with DATSUN and BRE decals... I didn't put either on.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl, the 432 (Datsun) spoiler that Les sells, is fully enclosed on the bottom with fiberglass, and the studs for securing it to the hatch are mounted in this bottom piece. I would imagine that a small o-ring or thin rubber washer would be a wise addition to seal it from water. I believe some spoilers sold during those days even came with some sort of seal for the front edge of the spoiler so water would not run underneath, but which ones I don't know. I have the 432 rear spoiler from Les, as well as the BRE front spoiler (made from BRE molds). However, I understand that BRE front racing spoilers were different from the ones they sold.

Here is a picture of the BRE rear spoiler from late 71. As you can see it lacks the upright reinforcements on the front face, as shown on the Nissan part. There is also no provision for mounting the original deck lid emblems on the rear surface.

I call it a "Nissan" rear spoiler because as I understand it - it was an optional accessory. Not standard on the 432Z's.

The U.S. Parts Catalog lists about six different part numbers for the Nissan rear spoiler - but no notation is made for applied dates.

Pictures of the 73 JDM models - show a rear spoiler that looks like the BRE spoiler, at least on the front face. The upright reinforcing ribs of the earlier style are no longer there, so Nissan must have also changed their original design.

The Parts Catalog shows six studs mounted across the bottom, about equally spaced on the Nissan part. The BRE Spoiler uses two studs on each side, on the outer edges of the deck lid, plus to in the deck lid itself - which are reached via the two rubber drain plugs in the deck lid lower edge.

Bryan - note that I did put rubber washers under the Studs.

BRE ran their original design front spook in 1970 on the #46 C-Production car. Sometime in 1971 they changed to the MK-II design, put it on their #46 and #3 Z cars, and sold that model to the public.

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150805074325_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150805074758_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150805074973_thumb.jpg

I'm stepping back up onto the old hamster wheel again......

I call it a "Nissan" rear spoiler because as I understand it - it was an optional accessory. Not standard on the 432Z's.

What everybody usually calls the "BRE" rear spoiler, and what others ( as seen in this thread.... ) call the "432" rear spoiler - that's the one usually identified by the vertical ribs on its front face - would be more accurately described as the '432R' rear spoiler. This item was first seen at the press preview event held at Nissan's Ginza, Tokyo showroom on October 18th 1969, and was mounted on the PS30-SB model 'Fairlady-Z 432R' that was on display there. This model was a purpose-built homologation special, constructed and made available to the general public in very small numbers in order to legalise the model for Japanese GT racing. Nissan only needed to make 25 cars in order to qualify for the JAF GT class - so that's what they did. This rear spoiler also made it into the JAF homologation papers for the 'Fairlady-Z 432' ( NB - this is NOT the '432R' ) and 'Fairlady Z/Z-L', and also the JAF / FIA 3023 papers for the Export model 240Zs.

This "PZR" rear spoiler was also included in the standard showroom model options lists for the other current Japanese domestic models of that period ( November 1969 through October 1971 ). It could be optioned at time of order, and was sometimes fitted by the dealer supplying the car to the customer. We could call it a standard Japanese extra-cost option for all models, but in Japan it is more commonly known as the '432R' rear spoiler, because that is the model that it is identified as having originated from.

To sum up, this spoiler was standard equipment on the PS30-SB model 'Fairlady-Z 432-R', but was offered as an extra cost showroom catalogue option for the other models.

Pictures of the 73 JDM models - show a rear spoiler that looks like the BRE spoiler, at least on the front face. The upright reinforcing ribs of the earlier style are no longer there, so Nissan must have also changed their original design.

You're a couple of years out, Carl.

In October 1971 - with the introduction of the L24-engined models to the Japanese market lineup - the new 'smooth' rear spoiler ( without the distinctive vertical ribs of the 'PZR' spoiler ) was offered as an option across all Japanese market models. As far as I am aware, the ribs were deleted from the new design as they held water between them when it rained, and this water would flood across the window and into the gap between the tailgate and roof panel when the tailgate was raised.........

You seem to have managed to make it sound as though Nissan 'copied' the BRE design for the 'smooth' spoiler. I'd say the opposite is far more likely.

The Parts Catalog shows six studs mounted across the bottom, about equally spaced on the Nissan part. The BRE Spoiler uses two studs on each side, on the outer edges of the deck lid, plus to in the deck lid itself - which are reached via the two rubber drain plugs in the deck lid lower edge.

There is an illustration and instructions / dimensions for mounting of the later 'smooth' spoiler in the October 1971 factory service manual for the HS30, PS30 and S30 models. These are the exact same dimensions as the six mounting studs on the OEM early 'PZR' type ribbed rear spoiler that I sourced from Japan for my 432R replica project, and they correspond with the mounting holes for the standard smooth rear spoiler seen on all the UK export market cars.

Photos: 1969 Japanese market options list, 1971 Japanese market options list close-up, and October 1971 Japanese market FSM page scan:

post-2116-14150805077092_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150805077483_thumb.jpg

post-2116-14150805077826_thumb.jpg

Edited by HS30-H
  • Like 1

So a spoiler with the ribs and flat spot is a "PZR" or "432R"? I have one I picked up when I was stationed in Japan and want to know what to call it. I plan to someday fit it my 73 but until I do I just keep up in the rafters of the garage. I always wondered what to call it...I knew it was not a BRE.

So a spoiler with the ribs and flat spot is a "PZR" or "432R"? I have one I picked up when I was stationed in Japan and want to know what to call it. I plan to someday fit it my 73 but until I do I just keep up in the rafters of the garage. I always wondered what to call it...I knew it was not a BRE.

Montezuma,

Just to clarify the term: "PZR" was factory internal vernacular for the PS30-SB 'Fairlady-Z 432R' models ( "PZ" was PS30 'Fairlady-Z 432', "ZS" was S30-S 'Fairlady-Z', "ZDX" was S30 'Fairlady-ZL', etc etc ) so you could feasibly call that style of rear spoiler - especially if you sourced it direct from Japan - either "PZR" or "432R" style.

It seems logical to me to use the term that identifies the source or root of the original design, or which at least points to where it came from.

Everybody is of course quite free to call them what they want. However, in my opinion it seems better to make that choice after you have had all the appropriate and relevant information placed before you. I'm sure you would agree :)

Alan T.

Geezer-Just got my BRE rear spoiler from Motorsports. It is smooth on the front (no ridges) , smooth on the back (no place for emblems), and is fully enclosed underneath. It is lined on the bottom with a foam gasket as Carl mentioned and bolts with two bolts that attach via the drain plugs. The quality is perfect! It's exactly what I was looking for. I'll post pics when my computer savvy son can get to it.

Hi Alan,

thank you for the explaining details,I learned why the ribs disappeared.

Here is a spoiler now on sale Yahoo auction.

http://page18.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/w30694693

This is a real OEM with no-ribs version.We can confirm it is an OEM when look at inside of the spoiler. The stud bolts finishing and reinforcements are the sign of the OEM.

My 1970 Z432 should have a spoiler with ribs version,but now installed an OEM with no-ribs version.

kats

Did anybody make a spoiler that did NOT overlap the rear quarter panels? I have one that is either missing the "tabs" for each side or was designed just to fit the hatch.

I dont think I will be installing it on the 70 but may install it on a 71 or 72 after this one is done.

Any help?

Side note - I think I might want to have a die-cut BRE logo for my front spook. Anyone heard if Les or the re-incarnated BRE has plans to repop those stickers?

I recieved the BRE 240 Z Die Cut for Airdam decals today. I followed Mike B's link in answer to Arne's post here. Bonus...Along with the decals, I was sent the reproduction brochure, "Datsun 510 Trans-Am Decor Package". Very nice!