IGNORED

Audio Systems

fixitman

Here's a link to a crossover chart.... http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp

Just remember that HI PASS means that the hi's pass thru the Capacitor and block the lows. Low pass Coils allow lows to pass thru and block the hi's.

So when the chart says to block frequencies below 100 Hz on a 4 Ohm speaker (like your 4" speakers, Tom) use a 397 uF capacitor to do that. Use Non Polarized caps (available at Radio Shack) and attach it inline with the (+) wire on the speaker. as the drawing shows here... http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/cross6db.asp

Most amps will do this for you with the flip of a switch or turn of the dial. But for an Ampless system, this is the easiest way. The caps are only a few bucks and will save your little speakers.

Dave

There's no room for any bass tube in my car, and I have absolutely no wish to complicate the wiring in my car after spending several years correcting things, so I will just try some better 4-inch speekers in the factory locations.

I will leave the subwoofers to the younger crowd.

thxZ

Totally understandable but just remember that those 4" speakers will NEVER trully be "Full range" speakers and will blow up while trying to reproduce low end sounds. The small bass tube will fit behind your seat and give the proper low end that your ears require for a decent sound. Or just get some bigger speakers than 4".

Totally up to you though, everybody is usally set in their ways and that's cool but don't expect your $5 goose to go laying golden eggs anytime soon.

Dave.

Tom, be very careful about which 4" speakers you choose if you want to fit them behind the factory panels. They MUST be almost flush. The Boston speakers were one of the only ones I found that fit the bill. Several others claimed to be flush only to not fit. Even Crutchfield wasn't aware of the real dimensions.

That was my concern. The alternative would be to use the (black) plastic cover, whichgwould makeit obvious that it's no longer a stock-resembling setup- even if it was painted to match the panel behind it? :sick:

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

Bo, sorry, I did see your kick panel setup. How did you make the square spacer to fit those 6" speakers in your kick panels? I would like to put 4" speakers in my kick panel area, adding to my MSA speaker box in the back with the 6x9s and a sub woofer in the wheel well area.

Bo, sorry, I did see your kick panel setup. How did you make the square spacer to fit those 6" speakers in your kick panels? I would like to put 4" speakers in my kick panel area, adding to my MSA speaker box in the back with the 6x9s and a sub woofer in the wheel well area.

Duffman, I was not trying to do a "me-too" with Dave. :) The speaker spacers are made from two pieces of either 1/2 or 3/4 MDF (I can not remember right now). The fit right over the opening in the kickpanel where you access the door hinges.

Tomohawk, are you sure you do not have room for a bass tube? I am running an 8-in. Bazooka tube in my car and it fits right where the MSA hatch box would go.

Having a subwoofer is not something left to the "younger" guys. You would be surprised at how much a subwoofer improves the sound in a Z. I was trying very hard to get a decent sound in the Z without one, but in the end I finally went with the tube as a test. It really makes a difference.

Nope. No room for a base tube anywhere in the back. There is only a couple of niches for the two speaker boxes I built (to fit into those niches.)

Anything you put into the back of the car has to sit on top of the spare tyre or on the deck behind the seats, which is why I use a luggage net instead of straps.

IMO, making a car sound like a recording hall is not a good thing and can even be dangerous, so I don't put a lot of effort or expense in audio equipment. Having the four speakers is enough, and the speaker boxes I built give good bas sounds.

Edited by TomoHawk

Since I don't carry luggage in my Z, I built an enclosure on top of the spare tire cover. It houses my amp and a 12" Kenwood subwoofer. It still allows easy access to the spare, jack, etc. I removed the factory speakers. I have four Pioneer 6 X 9's, two mounted about where the tool box covers would be if 280Z's had them, and two in a removable enclosure between the front two and the sub. I have 1" tweeters on the windshield pilllar moldings just above the dash. It's all reversible as I have another complete rear shelf assembly out in the shed.